Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some help guys. ( serious stuffy here)

I need some help guys. ( serious stuffy here)

You guys know that I am not one to ask for help lightly, but this isn't for me. I met a young lady, the other day who just lit up my world ( not the pastry chef) She is a beautiful spirit and a beautiful lady and she has suffered from multiple bouts of Cancer. She is tough and feisty. She found out that I was part Native American and told me that she had been having dreams of flying away with birds and finally being free and happy. As a Native, I know what that dream means and the birds that she picked couldn't have been more apt. They are very sacred to many tribes and are messengers of sorts and tricksters. I want to make her a medicine bundle, for her journey. She isn't afraid, she considers it a new life and she will finally be able to fly. I have very rarely been privileged enough to come into contact with a more compassionate group of people than you guys, I am not asking for donations. I need help finding feathers. I need some red tailed hawk, bluebird, raven(not crow) and owl feathers. I normally have these or can get them from various medicine men or elders, but I now live in NYC and communication on the rez is mediocre at best and many of my feathers were destroyed or taken during the robbery, not because they knew what they were taking.
    I know that many of you guys live in areas were these birds are and may have picked some up in your walks or travels. If you guys could spare one or two, I would be forever in your debt and you will give a beautiful young lady a chance to fly.
    Thank you, Sachem Son
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Son, i am an avid fly fisherman and i tie my own flies. I will look in my stash and see what i can find, I will also get with a few friends and see what i can get for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I need some red tailed hawk, bluebird, raven(not crow) and owl feathers.
    Please know that I'm not trying to be some dick-head spoil sport but the possession of migratory bird and/or raptor feathers is illegal and penalties can be severe. I understand that there are some exemptions for Native Americans but beyond that the laws are quite clear.

I understand and applaud your motivation...just sayin' be careful. All it takes is one overzealous DNR agent or the like. There are plenty of non native species with attractive plumage that might serve your purposes.

I have a Boy Scout Troop here in Louisville, and we are going out this weekend-we will search. Amazingly enough, there is a pair of Red Tails in our neighborhood, I have seen the male hunting and perching on the fence outside my window. I will check for feathers. My respect for you grows, Son.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Son, My uncle is a birdbander and has a bunch of stuff. I'm emailing him now and hopefully have some of what you're looking for.

From the U.S. Department of the Interior:

"Many people ask “If I find an eagle or hawk feather, can I keep it?” The answer is "No." All raptors are protected by state and federal regulations. It is illegal to capture or kill a raptor; possess a raptor (living or dead), or any pieces or parts of raptors, including feathers, without proper permits from state and federal government agencies."

I will now shut up on this subject.

Well our esteemed president just gave a tribe in Wyoming the right to hunt the Bald Eagle, so maybe there will be feathers on the market real soon :-(
    (not sure about the other birds, however.)

-M

Eh, we used to keep every bird we'd hit in our car(it was a '79 Lincoln Town Car, so a lot of birds), and gave it to a cherokee guy that lived in Mathis. I really wouldn't worry about picking up feathers or carcasses being a problem unless you are on a national park or wildlife refuge with a game warden nearby.

cannot purchase feathers for legal reasons. They must be given freely or found. This is a sacred thing for a sacred reason and must remain untainted. thank you for your offer, I appreciate it my friend
    I am a member of the tribe and would not ask anyone to risk any thing. The young lady is also native and we have legal rights to possess the feathers for ceremonial purposes. If at any time the moderators or Dave feel uncomfortable about my request, please remove the thread, as I do not anyone to feel uncomfortable.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I am just curious about the differences between raven and crow feathers. I know I have seen both but I am not remembering the differences.