Discount Strops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazeryu

Reaction score
In the past I've used an old weightlifter's belt (super wide, great for big blades) au naturel as my strop, but now that I've ordered some honing sprays based on Dave's thread I'm wondering if I need something a bit fancier.

Personally I object to paying $25+ for a strip of leather just because it says "strop" on the package, so I was planning to comb the local second-hand stores for undyed veggie-tanned leather belts - usually $2-$4 each. However, I was wondering if I should be worried about contaminants or some other kind of problem when using these as loaded strops.

Do you think I would be crazy to try using a 1μ spray on a second hand belt? What about a bag of leather scraps from a craft store?

Maybe I should just spring for a whole hide? I was thinking about doing that last year for an armouring project, before some other issues cropped up.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Why not a whole cow? Just shave a bit along the hip and off you go!

Trying different stropping substrates is always a crapshoot and the only way to know if it works or not is to try it out. It can be fun to try different leather types and other things so I say go for it if you're inclined. Maybe don't listen to Spike though. :D

Actually for the best leather strop it would be more like "whoa Mr. ED, just another inch or two".

Daves leather strop works way better than a many I've made from leather from hobby stores, including a trip to my local Tandy warehouse.

The others work, of course, but just wanted to throw in that there is a difference.

ALL joking aside, contact Colin (Chef Niloc).....he just got a bunch of really great shells. He might sell you a scrap piece.

I usually just spay some Medusa tears on baby minotaur skin.

Back