Steel straightness

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
This is a newbie question.I ordered some cpm154 and it came pretty bent up.Does being a PM steel have any effect on trying to straighten the steel out,if I even what to try......I just hate to return stuff,such a PITA!

i had only found one place that had bent up cpm154
i was forced to use it cause it was the last sheet i could find when crucible folded up
you can lightly tweek it and get it how you want but you are many times jsut better off HTing it and keeping an eye on it then and straightening it at that point

By the time I cut and profile blanks, some are not perfectly flat. I straighten by eye, sometimes I bang it a little bit on an anvil (gentle taps) and use a granite plate to check flatness.

i had only found one place that had bent up cpm154
i was forced to use it cause it was the last sheet i could find when crucible folded up

Didn't Crucible reopen after being purchased following bankruptcy?

yes tthey did but it left me with a nearly 2 year gap of hunting steel till they got more out to the supply houses (i am now happy to be working with the XHP steel and the great folks at cartec tho i have to buy from SB metals )

my plan is to still work with cpm154 as its good steel too but the XHP is just a cleaner steel (onece you get to it in my old stock) like i said the new stuff is much better preped
there is even talk of some of the off shoot alloys that will be based off the XHP base alloy to add jsut a bit more carbide formers

Now that I have a surface grinder I will surface grind each knife after I profile it.
Jim

I have a 12 ton press (hand pump) that i use if i cannot get them straight by hand, just make sure to run a normalizing cycle before you HT, or that warp could haunt you.

Now that I have a surface grinder I will surface grind each knife after I profile it.
Jim

You can straighten just about any steel by hand or overbending it in a vise before heat treating. Check on a granite plate for straightness - I make several small adjustments rather than one big, and check for straightness on a granite plate. I tap on a blade for clinking - that tells me if there is any bend on the blade that an eye might not register.

A magnet chuck on your surface grinder will flatten your blank, and even if you surface grind it, that bend will still be there.

M

Back