Blade height and wear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metzger

Reaction score
Maybe the ideal height for your 240mm gyuto is 50mm, but sharpening will take out a few mm a year off a thin blade.

Does it makes sense to start out with like 58mm height to get a longer lasting gyuto, then as time goes on change it's profile to suji or petty

David

unless you are taking out chips, taking a few MM off a knife every year means you are sharpening it way too much.

unless you are taking out chips, taking a few MM off a knife every year means you are sharpening it way too much.

+1
Also if you take that much height off a blade it isn't going to perform the same as it did originally because you've changed the geometry.

Or your use is very high as are your sharpness expectations necessitating frequent almost daily sharpening. That would certainly eliminate a few mm of knife over the course of a year.

To the original question... You could opt for a taller one for more life. Over time yes the performance and geometry would change some. My experience is performance gets better or by better I mean more to my liking due to the way I sharpen with a large convex bevel with strong Righty bias. These are all things to consider, but yes if you are looking for a longer life taller is just one way to get it.

Or your use is very high as are your sharpness expectations necessitating frequent almost daily sharpening. That would certainly eliminate a few mm of knife over the course of a year.

it would still be sharpening way too much, as anybody with that kind of use pattern would be much better off rotating through a few knives, rather than just grinding one to a nub as quickly as possible.

It does take a long time to sharpen down a knife. But you can and should slowly adjust the angle of the profile so that the tip moves back toward the knife--IF you are going to sharpening a ton, I.E. if you are a demanding pro cook.

it would still be sharpening way too much, as anybody with that kind of use pattern would be much better off rotating through a few knives, rather than just grinding one to a nub as quickly as possible.

Perhaps a person only has funds for a small number of knives or no desire for more than necessary. Sharpening too much is a matter of opinion. I sharpen a about 3 times a week (out of need not ritual) usually more sometimes less. I have a cook who hasn't sharpened his knife in the four months he's worked for me. If the knife is dull (again a matter of opinion) sharpen it for your own needs. A knife is a tool and tools get used. Even if you lost 2mm over the course of a year, it would take 10-15 years to make the knife useless for designed purposes, if you went with a taller knife yes you'd prolong the life of it.

I will lighten up on my sharpening and try just strop more, I think I have lost just over 2mm per year the last couple years. I will try to get it down to less than 1mm. Thanks everyone.

Back