Got to do it, wood oven fever

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chef Niloc

Banned
Reaction score
Can't help my self, wedding in Italy did me in I'm starting a wood fire oven tomorrow, picks to follow. Haveing one dilemma, brick or soapstone Hearth? Any of you have insight?

Good for you! We're landscaping our back yard this year and a wood-burning oven is the most important element of our plan. A local company is building it for us, with a brick hearth. We chose brick because from what I've read soapstone absorbs 3x the heat of brick and thus the oven burns much hotter. This may be better for pizza, but not as good for baking bread and roasting meats. So, it really depends on what the primary use of your wood oven will be...

The key for most applications is keeping the ambient, reflective and floor temps the same. I built a simple dry stacked hard brick oven last summer, with soft brick insulators on the outside, with 28 x 42 kiln shelves on the floor and roof. Even though the insulation beneath and above is far beyond what most manufacturers consider adequate, the bottom is difficult to keep up with the ambient and reflective temp. Consequently, I now use a high-alumina kiln shelf raised about 2.5 inches above the floor, and everything is hunky-dory.

Day one
c610f579.jpg

Congratulations on the wedding. Can't wait to see how this comes out.

A little slow with the updates, here's the end of last week and this week

22ab9b7d.jpg

aa14319d.jpg

b736991a.jpg

ec0f190d.jpg

cbc7e4f0.jpg

b242f576.jpg

da3a5305.jpg

wow nice work can't wait to see how you will use this.

Wow, you don't do anything half way. That is intense. Great work.

Looks great. How was the za?
What's next to be cooked (not pizza)???

Chef, that looks absolutely beastly, looks like things are going well at the restaurant, congrats!

Back