Quantcast
Practice knife review
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice knife review

Practice knife review

I have not been meeting forum standards for knife reviews, so I thought some practice would help. Critiques are welcomed.

This is a Suncraft paring style petty made in Japan of stainless steel. The blade is perfectly straight with an even, machine grind. The grind is done on a small diameter wheel, producing a dramatically concave hagane. It is fairly thin behind the edge, but thickens quickly. The steel is soft. It sharpens easily and it is quick to raise a burr and to remove it. Five minutes on a King 1200 raised and removed burrs on both sides. A little stropping on the stone and running the edge across soft wood removed the remaining burr and left a decent edge. The King 6000 was quicker, and stropping on newspaper left a good feeling edge.

In spite of being fairly thin behind the edge, the concave hagane causes the knife to wedge quickly. It starts to cut nicely, then resistance increases significantly, and it feels quite dull.

I had reduced the bevel angle a little, and that along with the soft steel I expect to give poor edge retention.

Specifications:

Overall Length: 194mm
    Blade: 94mm
    Handle: 93mm

Blade height @heel: 22mm

Spine thickness above heel: 1.2mm
    Spine thickness @midway: 1.2mm
    Spine thickness @tip: .015mm
    Blade thickness 1mm above edge: .015mm
    Weight 22g

Cost of the knife and saya was fifty cents at a flea market.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Thanks for the review! You can't beat that price.

One question: If it was done on a grinding wheel wouldn't it be concave (or hollow), not convex?

it says concave all over the review
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    In spite of being fairly thin behind the edge, the concave hagane causes the knife to wedge quickly. It starts to cut nicely, then resistance increases significantly, and it feels quite dull.
    Sounds like you got your 50 cents worth out of this one at least.

Thanks for sharing and nice review.

Um, I paid $10 for this recently....boy do I feel robbed. Makes for a great little picnic knife for cheese and salami . Thanks for the review!

Hmmm, I paid $14 fo this http://japanwoodworker.com/product.a...&dept_id=13169 but at least i got VG1 steel.

Thanks for the review, good start!
    To up it a bit you might want to consider uploading a bunch of pics in all angles. You know, we neve get tired of looking at knife pics....

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    it says concave all over the review
    This isn't a good sign for my mental health. I'm going to tell myself Keith edited it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I'm going to tell myself Keith edited it.
    Telling yourself things that aren't true isn't good for one's mental health either.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Telling yourself things that aren't true isn't good for one's mental health either.

Quote Originally Posted by macmiddlebrooks View Post
    Um, I paid $10 for this recently....boy do I feel robbed:). Makes for a great little picnic knife for cheese and salami :hungry:. Thanks for the review!
    I plan to use it as a tomato peeler. I usually just need one tomato for a sandwich, and peel it grandma style with knife in one hand and tomato in the other. Wedging and edge retention won't be a concern, and it may just work fine.

Besides, I think it is cute!

Though this review was a little tongue-in-cheek, it was a real attempt at getting more thorough. More photos, OK. Anything else?

Thanks,

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

+ Reply to Thread