Quantcast
Is this the best Santoku knife? - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the best Santoku knife?

Give Jon at Japanese Knife Imports a call. He will get you setup. Just bought a knife from him and his service was excellent.

I don't understand why a preference for one type of knife equates to hatred for another. There is too much talk of "hate" in my opinion. I have a santoku and rarely use it because other knives in my assortment work better for what I do, and would not recommend one, but that does not equate to hatred!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I happen to like using my Watanabe santoku for some things, so I'm not against santokus. However, I'm not sure they make the best all-purpose knife... Unless you're really not comfortable with something longer than 7".
    Len

Ok,maybe "hate " was too strong a word to use.How about "no love"? :-D

That works!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I don't understand why a preference for one type of knife equates to hatred for another. There is too much talk of "hate" in my opinion. I have a santoku and rarely use it because other knives in my assortment work better for what I do, and would not recommend one, but that does not equate to hatred!
    This. Not "hate" at all. Just (like we've read everywhere) the knife's "three virtues" actually mean "not really good at any one task."
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

"Unless you're really not comfortable with something longer than 7". "

That's what he said... sorry couldn't help myself.
    "However, I'm not sure they make the best all-purpose knife"
    I don't think there's one "best" all purpose knife,although the gyuto does come close..

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    This. Not "hate" at all. Just (like we've read everywhere) the knife's "three virtues" actually mean "not really good at any one task."
    " The word santoku loosely translates as "three virtues" or "three tasks",a reference to the 3 cutting tasks it performs well,slicing,dicing and mincing"

much more awesomer
    Except that it doesn't do any of those tasks as well as any number of other knives.

Just like an SUV doesn't handle or ride as well as a car, nor is it as useful as a minivan or pickup truck, and it's not the cheapest vehicle to buy or to run. That's it! The santoku is the SUV of knives!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I use Macs in my home kitchen and the santoku is my go-to. I love it, but would never use it at the job...

And as far as Moritaka goes, I wish everyone would stop apologizing! I have had many knives pass through my kitchen in the last year from Carter to Tanaka Ironwood, and the Moritaka French gyuto has been my favorite- by a looong shot! I love it! No apologies!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com