Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Photo Equipment Help

OT: Photo Equipment Help

I know there have been past threads about similar subjects, but I want to take clean product photos with a white background.

Any suggestions as far as equipment and staging the photos?

Lenses, lighting, flashes, backdrops etc? I'm buying my kit this next month, and I know a lot of you out there are pretty good photographers.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

A lot depends on the size of the objects you are shooting, if it is small, like rings and watches, they make little photo box kits for that. It would also would help to know what camera and lenses you already have before suggesting lenses and things.

My wife says you can use a 24mm lens, a macro, two whiteboards and natural light and that's all you really need. Not sure if you wanted to go with more toys than that, but she's a natural light photographer--consider her method the Murray Carter way.

My camera is a Pentax k10 and I only have two lenses right now a 50mm 1:1.4 and a 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6

The size of objects would mostly fit into a foot cube, but would also go as large as a two-foot cube for some items.

As for natural light, that sounds good and I prefer using natural light, but in the cold north, the weather and short days really limit what one can do, so I also want an artificial set up.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Jim Cooper (Sharp By Coop) has a thread on Blade Forums on how to build a home made light box big enough to fit large knives from PVC pipe, CF lights and a kitchen garbage bag.

I would probably do a 24mm f/1.4 lens and something like this. Do you have a flash unit already? A flash, natural light and a reflector like this can get you quite a ways.

I think you can get by with the lenses you have, but a macro lens would be a big plus. There are lots of DYI setups you can put together using a roll of white paper and some desk lights. The little table setup that GlassEye links to looks nice. Or you could go all-in with something like this (you can run the backdrop over a small table).

kelly got me a fold up light tent set and i have 4 CF shoplights that i mount around it how i need for the proper light
    a good trypod is a good thing that way you can change your F stop and have a longer exposure to get more DOF

Thanks guys for the input. That package lighting setup is really tempting, and thanks GlassEye for reminding me that I need a fast wide angle too I just picked up a Tamron macro. Found a good deal for $100 off.

k.

Edit: yeah, the tripod too...

Ok, I think I am going to get a 24-in light tent too, but tripods are a little overwhelming. I was thinking about this Ravelli tripod. I know there are better ones out there, but does anyone have suggestions on the tripod?

I also may make the splurge on this Slik one but I am undecided.

k.