Quantcast
Best place to get ceramic fiber board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to get ceramic fiber board

Best place to get ceramic fiber board

I want the stuff to line underneath the fire brick or the wood oven I'm making. This place has it:

http://www.HighTempTools.com/inswool.html

Just checking if there is a better place to buy it?

Check with any local fireplace installer. They usually have or can get anything you need along those lines.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Niloc, whatever you get make SURE that it is coated so those little fibers won't get out. have you thought about using castable refractory cement? You also might be able to find some of this stuff at a pottery makers supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    Check with any local fireplace installer. They usually have or can get anything you need along those lines.
    That is what I thought, but I tried 3 by me and none of them new what I was talking about. They know about the blanket, but not the board. They tell me to just mix cement with pearlight, but I know that the ceramic board is a better insulator.

Niloc, have you looked into which of these products are "food safe?" Us metal pounders use a lot of these products and the one thing that we are told consistently is that a fair bit of it is definitely not good for you.

All the plans for the build suggest them. I think once sealed and with the fire brick ontop it should be food safe.

They do sell that stuff in a hard board. You can get Rutland's furnace cement (Tractor Supply) to seal it, and if the fire brick is going on top of it, it will pretty much mortar everything together. What type of oven are you making? Pizza style oven?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    I want the stuff to line underneath the fire brick or the wood oven I'm making. This place has it:

http://www.HighTempTools.com/inswool.html

Just checking if there is a better place to buy it?
    This seems to be pretty reasonably priced board.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    They do sell that stuff in a hard board. You can get Rutland's furnace cement (Tractor Supply) to seal it, and if the fire brick is going on top of it, it will pretty much mortar everything together. What type of oven are you making? Pizza style oven?
    Yup I'm going for the neoplaten wood fire pizza oven like this

I think if you did the wool under firebricks, you will be fine. You can get 55 lb. bags of refractory mortar (Satanite) for $88 and that should be enough to do everything. I would lay down the wool, do a wash coat of satanite and let it dry. Then lay down the mortar like you were laying a brick wall, small areas at a time. Once you get all the brick layed in, let it dry overnight and then maybe get a fire in it to make sure everything cured under the bricks. I have been wanting to do this also, i have 500 lbs. of fire brick in my shop for this project. I think that with that much brick and mortar/insulation, you could build this on a wood frame and it should even get warm. I built a small forge for fun out of bricks, and at welding temps i could still touch the outsides of it.

+ Reply to Thread