Quantcast
The thread for wood addicts
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The thread for wood addicts

The thread for wood addicts

Looks like some of us like nice wood, and others have a full blown wood addiction (aaehh, that would be moi). I thought i open a wood thread to discuss which woods people like - and why. Or show pictures of their favorite wood pieces, be it on a handle, a raw slab or on a piece of furniture. Or talk about their positiv/negative experience working with a specific wood. Very open topic, as you can see.

You guys can start talking already, I'm on the Ipad and too lazy now, but I will post a few pics and comments when I am back at the PC

Stefan

Can a mod rename this the "Make Stefan Feel Better About How Much Wood He Buys" thread?

I love highly figured woods, burls, spalted, etc. Natural woods that have nice variety of colors and depth. Crazy colors and dyes also work for me. After years of having boring ass black handles, I like my knives to have some character!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Hey, what are you, a Psychologist?

I like some figure but some of the pieces I see are just too busy-looking. Colors and dyes work sometimes but they seem to be nicer to my eye in spacers, etc.

Hello, My name is Randy and Im a Burl junky!!! Iv been known to be sort of a woodchuck! Spending way to much time and money on these beautiful woods! My collection ranges from at least 100 lbs of fully stabilized burl scales and blocks to well over 1000 lbs of natural burl at various stages of dryness.. You could say I have a passion for amazing highly figured BURL!!!!

Theres so many beautiful wood species to choose from I couldnt really pic a favorite.. So Id say the one Im working on at the time would be my favorite!

So today my favorite is Willow Burl! Ill attach a photo of the wood finished out on a knife. Its not a kitchen knife.. But it sure is amazing burl!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Damn that willow burl is nice. Kinda has a Koa effect as well.

Over 1000lbs? Uh oh Stefan, you may have found the guy that makes you look sane.

Yea, Its similar to Koa depending on which way you cut it.. It can have these awesome rays or cut agents the grain to get a totally different look, the Burly eyes!!

Funny thing is, Even with all this wood I still am seeking MORE BURL!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Randy is that fifth pin a lanyard hole or is it solid? I noticed you have this on some of your other handles too.

Yes, Its a lanyard tube. I changed my mind, My favorite for today is.. Ironwood BURL!

Availible Knives

Double post, SRY..

Availible Knives