Watanabee vs.Dishwasher

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
006-25.jpg

008-22.jpg

010-12.jpg

011-12.jpg

I went to my bro's house to weld a few tangs on and showed my what his wife to to the watanabee i gave him:slaphead: I am going to have to give this thing the spa treatment.I pulled the handle off to make sure the tang was not rusty,I think i might keep this and give him my Akifusa.

:crying::yuck::pullhair:Aaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's actually not as bad as I would expect for going through the dishwasher. I frequently get stainless knives to sharpen which look like that. I can't imagine how people can still think it's appropriate to put a knife through the washer when it comes out looking like that. Besides a bit of pitting, though, it looks like that rust will come off easily. Good luck fixing it up, you'll have to show us how it turns out.

Damn! At least it will look all badass and well used once it's cleaned up.

Zoinks!

The edge seems to have avoided the worst of it. Wonder why that is.

Ouch! Rust doesn't kill knives, wifes kill knives...

Stefan

Aren't women supposed to be good with things in the kitchen, lol?

Looks like you left out on your counter overnight Stefan. :razz:

Ain't dat da truth. ... I bought a carbon steel pan a while ago and hung it up on my kitchen rack which admittedly is close to the always open window. Next time I looked, this is what I had:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Makes the Watanabe look o.k....

Stefan

That's enough to make a grown man cry! - that goes for the watanabe as well as the pan. . .

I will pray for the knife tonight.... should not be to bad of a fix but it will take some elbow grease! have fun.

Ain't dat da truth. ... I bought a carbon steel pan a while ago and hung it up on my kitchen rack which admittedly is close to the always open window. Next time I looked, this is what I had:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Makes the Watanabe look o.k....

Stefan

That looks familiar... nice patina. Next stop, belt sander

Yeah, sorry about that... Didn't I read somewhere that soaking it in Coke helps. I hope that Coke zero works also, 'cause that's what I've got...

Stefan

There is a product called CLR (calcium, lime,rust) that is availably in Canada, pretty much dissolves either, not sure if it is available in the US though... It would give you a great head start.

Yeah, sorry about that... Didn't I read somewhere that soaking it in Coke helps. I hope that Coke zero works also, 'cause that's what I've got...

Stefan

Coke Zero is acidic, so it should do just fine. that's a lot of rust, though, so the mentioned CLR (which is available in Ohio, at least) might be worth tracking down.

The ingredient is phosphoric acid. It desolves the rust and replaces it with iron phosphate, which protects from future rust. Jasco makes some metal prep that does the same thing without the sticky residue.

Sad sad before pictures... I look foward to the after ones :)

these are some of the most horrifying (watanabe) and crazy (pan) pictures i've seen on here. i also can't wait for the clean-up!!

Yes i would like to see some afters as well. I would think the posters would have done something ASAP as leaving anything in red-rusted condition like that is going to lead to the worst nightmare...

PITTING!!!!!

JC

003-37.jpg

002-37.jpg

Sorry.....NO spa treatment.I only took it to an old norax 100 belt then very brief hand sanding at 220 grit.I said to my self *** this thing is going back in the dishwasher why waste my belts and time,I am sure he will be happy with it after i sharpen it.

well heck, you thinned the knife, so this might be a happy ending after all. :)

Can I send you my pan, Mario :)

Sorry.....NO spa treatment.I only took it to an old norax 100 belt then very brief hand sanding at 220 grit.I said to my self *** this thing is going back in the dishwasher why waste my belts and time,I am sure he will be happy with it after i sharpen it.

I'm surprised there's so little pitting left. Great job.
I don't get it, though...WHY would anyone put a knife in the dishwasher? Knives are the easiest thing in the kitchen to wash. It's probably harder to jam the knife into the dishwasher while trying to find a place for it than to rinse it and dry it.

Latest posts

Back