Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project need help: Grand UnifiedStone Soaking Chart

New Project need help: Grand UnifiedStone Soaking Chart

I've been talking to Dave about pitting together a spreadsheet which lists the suggested soaking times for various kinds of stones, etc. Basically the idea is to do for soaking stones what the grand unified grit chart does for their grits. I was inspired to do this because I find it hard to keep track of which stones are capable of permasoaking, which should never be soaked for more than a few minutes but are best when soaked for a few minutes, which need never be soaked at all etc.

At present: I was planning for the spreadsheet to have the following three columns

Name of Stone i.e. "Shapton Glass 400"
    Manufacturer's/Distributor's suggested soaking i.e. "Splash and Go"
    Members comments/warnings "really is a splash and go, don't soak at all - no need for even a few minutes"

Can people think of more columns to add??

It will take a bit of time to reach out to manufacture/distributors to get their information but if people want to start posting their comments about stones here, I'll start putting together the bones of the spreadsheet

Do you want to try and capture something about drying time? Frequently read about people (that don't live in FL) having to let the stones dry before moving them outside for storage during the winter months.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Add a field for type of stone (magnesia, ceramic, clay, resinoid, etc...)

Separate manufacturer, product line and grit level into three separate fields; it would be easier to filter.

-my 2 bits

This is a great idea that will for sure help people out for a long time coming. Thanks for taking this on Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Do you want to try and capture something about drying time? Frequently read about people (that don't live in FL) having to let the stones dry before moving them outside for storage during the winter months.

We could maybe have a general notes section to include stuff like this that covers all stones. Another general thing is to not try to dry stones out too fast - placing in front of a fan, in an open window, in direct sunlight, or in front of a heater are all bad ideas. Also, putting away wet stones in sealed containers will grow mold. Putting away wet stones in cardboard boxes will ruin the box and grow mold. Etc....

There are some specific stones that require some specific handling techniques though. Take the synthetic aoto....quick cycles of soaking/drying lead to cracking. Then there's the 5k Chosera that should really be mounted because more seem to crack than not regardless of how they're used. That's just a couple examples.

Great idea, I'll add that column!

sounds like a good idea:

Columns now are:

Manufacturer, Product Name, Grit, Composition, Manufacturers Suggested Soaking Time, Manufactures suggested drying time, Column for Members comments as to soaking drying, quirks etc

Any more before I start trying to fill in the columns??

also, if people have email addresses for vendors reps in the US please PM them...

I'd be interested to see brief comments on the characteristics of the stone in terms of finish and whether it's particularly good (or bad) for certain steels.

(This should be really useful. Thanks gic!)

can that go in the member comments section or should we have a separate column for that??

Also Manufacturer column will be Manufacturer/Vendor so for example Jon's stones would be listed as JKI in that columnas the manufacturer isn't the relevant issue as it is a "JKI" stone

Just tell me where you want me to post this Ido for you and I'd be happy to do it. I should be able to cover not only my stones, but many others as well.