Thread: Table of Stones and their Particle Sizes

Table of Stones and their Particle Sizes

If you've got confirmed information about the particle size of another stone (Suehiro or such) please post it here.

This was originally published in a Lee Valley mail order catalogue. I have scanned it and am posting it here for posterity and for the benefit of those people who might not be fortunate enough to live in a country where LV distributes.

The "Bester 100x" at the bottom left of the table is a typo, it should be Bester 1000x. The Sigma 1000x 4 down from the top left should read Sigma 10000x (1.5 micron).

"Sigma" references Sigma Power Select II stones. The King 200x is a big green stone I've never seen anywhere other than LV before.

Interesting.

Hope this helps.

It seems this is confirming my suspect that the Imanishi 8k is more than 'just' 8k. Thanks for showing.

Here are some particle sizes listed in the same mail-order for diamond stones...

Atoma:
    1200x (15 micron)
    400x (45 micron)
    140x (100 micron)

DMT Diasharp:
    8000x (3 micron)
    1200x (9 micron)
    600x (25 micron)
    325x (45 micron)
    220x (60 micron)
    120x (120 micron) (same for DMT Diaflat 120x plate)

Table of Stones and their Particle Sizes

Look up the grand unified grit chart at blade forums, I've also seen a logarithmic graphical grit chart that seems to jibe.

Edit - Here is the link originally posted by Blade Forums member Komitadjie:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ied-Grit-Chart

Click the link to the most recent google docs spreadsheet and please respect any copyright, trademark, intellectual property rights, etc. of the rightful owner(s)
    Last edited by tjangula; 12-27-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Add link (mods please remove if not acceptable)

Interesting link, the JIS does seem to roughly match up with some of the stones listed here, but there seems to be some difference among each maker as to what really is a JIS ___x

It more or less matches the Chosera AFAIK, I also checked the grit size for Chosera on the logarithmic chart I mentioned (don't recall link) and the micron seems to match.