Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Asymmetry – The REAL DEAL

abit late to this thread, so if the knife is asymmetric then we should be aiming for the right most diagram? (assuming knife is 70/30)

Quote Originally Posted by inzite View Post
    abit late to this thread, so if the knife is asymmetric then we should be aiming for the right most diagram? (assuming knife is 70/30)

Not really.

What you want to do to the edge is follow how the blade is ground. This is accomplished by Refer to Post#1

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Not really.

What you want to do to the edge is follow how the blade is ground. This is accomplished by Refer to Post#1
    Hi Dave, thanks for the quick reply. I read the first post quite a few times and I still don't quite understand. Would you be able to show visually what the below means?

"How can you do this? Simple…you look at the blade and mimic it’s asymmetric grind when working it’s edge bevel. I used to use a straight edge laid on the side of the knife to compare side to side and then follow by rough estimating this form while sharpening the edge bevel. Luckily most of you will have a new knife that you’re starting out on and you’ll likely find that this ratio has already been worked into the bevels and all you have to do is follow along."

Do you mean to hold the knife such that the spine is facing up to the sky and edge resting on the board and then hold something that is a straight edge on each side of the blade? For my knife brand new I notice the bevel on right side is taller than left side about twice as tall perhaps. I was told it is a 60/40 double bevel. Very similar to the right most in the diaghram. Thanks for your help!

a bit off topic. But does any one have a spare copy of Dave's sharpening DVD set for sale... trying to grab hold of a copy but unfortunately Dave has discontinued the DVD and I can't find it anywhere

Thanks

Finland, in the middle of forest and snow.
    So, do I get this right? Right handed Knives, I should sharpen left side of the blade ( edge pointing down) with higher angle, and right side with lower angle? Or the opposite?

For a righty ground knife it's generally two pennies under the right side, three pennies under the left.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/