Quantcast
Asymmetry – The REAL DEAL - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Asymmetry – The REAL DEAL

I am picture sort of person, so the more I read the more puzzled I become. Is there a link with pictures within this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by smilesenpai View Post
    I am picture sort of person, so the more I read the more puzzled I become. Is there a link with pictures within this forum?
    There are a few illustrations on page 6&7. Did those help?

Quote Originally Posted by smilesenpai View Post

One day......hopefully I'll do some diagrams

Have a look at the penultimate pic in post nr. 6

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/76993/jck-...20#post_438632

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    There are a few illustrations on page 6&7. Did those help?
    I didnt see those. I read up to page 4 and was so lost, hence the post.

Those do give me a better idea. I will do more, reading now I have see these images and hopefully, I make more sense of this.

Cheers.

Wait, I have a 2 questions that I don't think has been addressed regarding kens demo. 1) why the hell would you have to set the platen to any degree of a angle? I mean at any degree is it not still the flat platen and edge angle going to be the same? 2) and more important isn't he messing up the whole font part of that knife by follow the curve of the knife? It looks to me tat the scratch pattern is laving the front part to thick and destroying the tip in the same move? Wouldn't it work better and be easer if he just kept the knife straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Wait, I have a 2 questions that I don't think has been addressed regarding kens demo. 1) why the hell would you have to set the platen to any degree of a angle? I mean at any degree is it not still the flat platen and edge angle going to be the same? 2) and more important isn't he messing up the whole font part of that knife by follow the curve of the knife? It looks to me tat the scratch pattern is laving the front part to thick and destroying the tip in the same move? Wouldn't it work better and be easer if he just kept the knife straight?

He is the expert!

Because..... WABI SABI BRO!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I've just recently sharpened my first 2 asymmetric knives beyond 70-30 and realized what a HUGE learning curve it is. These were my buddys knives and one was his first Yanagi (a Masamoto) and another was a Misono UX-10 he'd set up to about 99 and 1. He had obviously been learning himself when he sharpened these and I quickly realized what a mess he'd made of the edges and how far I had to go to learn proper asymmetric sharpening.

Firstly, it felt wrong sharpening at these angles , secondly, he had not done them well. I feel like I am now ready for a single bevel of my own to learn properly on but one that doesn't have the multitude of crazy bevels he had on his.

Couldn't have learned any of this without the knowledge from this forum. Thanks guys.

+ Reply to Thread