Quantcast
Asymmetry – The REAL DEAL - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Asymmetry – The REAL DEAL

What do lefty's do who want a Hiromoto ?

Quote Originally Posted by rogue108 View Post
    What do lefty's do who want a Hiromoto ?
    Besides ordering a left handed knife? Well that is if one is available and if they don't mind paying the 30% upcharge. No wonder this doesn't get brought up by the retailer, too easy to lose a sale.

I suppose most will live with the right handed asymmetry. Some will grind more on the left (when sharpening) then on the right. Not many options here.

Masahiro offers standard carbon blades, with the entire geometry adapted for left-handed. Right side flat, left side convexed. Some 25% more than the common right-handed ones.

Sponsors
    some knives can be adjusted at the edge while others need to be reground through a process somewhat similar to thinning, but geared towards changing the blade geometry with regard to asymmetry

I'm still confused ;I have checked some knives with a protractor,I laid the knife with the flat side on the table (if they have one)and measured the angle between the flat side and the edge.If I understand correctly there must be some difference in angles.
    Arcos chef knife 21cm(spain) left; 3 degr and right 3 degr no flat side.
    Tojiro dp gyuto 24cm 3 2 flat side
    Watanabe sanuko 17cm 3,8 3,8
    watanbe nakiri 16 cm 3,3 3,2
    watanabe petty 12 cm 4 4,6

I not see asymmetrical sides or maybe I do something wrong?

Ok from what I have gathered on double bevel knives the cutting edge of the blade will remain in line with the spine regardless off the 70/30 60/40 etc split, so when you lay the blade flat you are measuring the angle from cutting edge to side of the blade so it will always be the same, if you measure the angle from the cutting edge to secondary bevel you will get the 60/40 etc angle. The grind on one side will be higher up the blade creating the asymmetry. Someone please correct me if I am wrong

Asymmetry – The REAL DEAL

I believe you are on the wrong track there warren. The edge is not centred under the spine. It's more offset to one side due to the asymmetrical edge grinds: grinding more from one side moves the very edge around. Also it's not just at the edge level but the blade face is also ground asymmetrically. You can really see it if you closely examine the choil. ( someone correct me if that's wrong )

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    I believe you are on the wrong track there warren. The edge is not centred under the spine. It's more offset to one side due to the asymmetrical edge grinds: grinding more from one side moves the very edge around. Also it's not just at the edge level but the blade face is also ground asymmetrically. You can really see it if you closely examine the choil. ( someone correct me if that's wrong )
    Back to the sharpening dvd then

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenB View Post
    Back to the sharpening dvd then
    To be honest, Asymmetry can be a confusing subject. It was, and still is for me and I'm sure a lot of people would agree. I spent far too long researching the subject I must admit and it drove me crazy! But I've learnt enough to get knives to cut straight and wedge less and that enough for me!

I've found if you first test the knife by cutting a dense item. If it cuts straight and doesn't wedge much then follow along with the current bevels, proportions etc when sharpening

If it does not cut straight and or wedges then you may need to adjust the location of the edge and or thin behind the edge to fix the problems

For example : my 270 fkh gyuto (80/20) OOTB pulled majorly to the left.
    At the advice of another member I slightly recentered the edge by creating a larger bevel on the LHS. The plan was to increase friction on the LHS and decrease it on the RHS.
    Then the knife cut straight but wedged a little. I then thinned the knife equally behind the edge on both sides now it cuts beautifully.

I hope that helps a little... Try not to go insane figuring out the great mysteries and just focus on doing what you have to do to get your knife to perform right

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    focus on doing what you have to do to get your knife to perform right
    I make shiny things get cutty cutty.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

+ Reply to Thread