Quantcast
Asymmetry – The REAL DEAL - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asymmetry – The REAL DEAL

I couldn't say, anything could happen ....or not

Sorry, may have been clumsily phrased. Let me try again:

When you say "but it is likely that some effect will occur over time". Is that a function of the "shoulders" growing further appart (i.e.: blade becoming thicker behind the edge) over time due to sharpening without thinning? If not, how does the effect occur over time?

Well based on the maths of it, any error that's introduced due to the incorrect positioning of the edge and angles to said edge can only get more pronounced as the blade gets thicker. (i.e. it's also the reason that if you're 1* off when you're shooting a bb gun at a board 30' away you'll probably still hit (1* over 30' = 6" off target), but the same 1* difference over 100' means that you'll miss (1' 9" off target))

Quote Originally Posted by clayton View Post
    Sorry, may have been clumsily phrased. Let me try again:

When you say "but it is likely that some effect will occur over time". Is that a function of the "shoulders" growing further appart (i.e.: blade becoming thicker behind the edge) over time due to sharpening without thinning? If not, how does the effect occur over time?

I was referring to taking the edge away from matching the blade's asymmetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Which will get worse over time because the shoulders grow further appart?

Would the edge not also move away over time from matching the blade's asymmetry if we use different angles?

Seems like appropriate thinning should solve the issue with both methods, no?

Dave, please let me know if I am out of line with my questions. I would completely understand if concrete answers fall into the "trade secret" category.

great post Dave

LOTS! of misinformation around the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clayton View Post
    Which will get worse over time because the shoulders grow further appart?

Would the edge not also move away over time from matching the blade's asymmetry if we use different angles?

Seems like appropriate thinning should solve the issue with both methods, no?

Dave, please let me know if I am out of line with my questions. I would completely understand if concrete answers fall into the "trade secret" category.

All questions are welcome but I'm having trouble understanding what you're asking, sorry.

Here is drawing illustrating the difference (from what I gather) between using "same angle less abrasions" vs. "different angles". I understand this is just one possible scenario, but key difference would only occur on one side of the blade and would manifest itself in the highlighted yellow portion of the drawing.

All in all the two methods do actually appear to create two different edge profiles, at least they do on my drawing. Question is does it matter or is one "better" than the other.
    So far, I don't know. but could see this mattering much more on thicker knives. Meaning thickness plays a role which is also why it gets worse over time IF you don't thin the blade.

Clayton, I would think that these two scenarios do offer different results. I'd like to point out that my opinion of doing either (as an absolute) isn't the best way to go about it though, so if you're looking for one way to be better than the other so that you can follow that you'll be headed down the wrong path.

The correct way is to not use any formula or mathematical equation, work the bevels as they need to be worked. If it takes 10 min of grinding on one side and 2 min on the other or of you have to slightly tweak the angle for one side vs the other then do what you must to keep the asymmetry of the knife in tact which will in turn keep your knife cutting straight.

Thanks Dave!

Completely understand about not doing either as an absolute. I was really just trying to get to the bottom of the "vary sharpening angle vs. not vary sharpening angle from one side to the other" thing.

Looks like varying the angle can have some merits and might be possibly worth the "pain".

+ Reply to Thread