Media AVEC ERIC Episode 10 CRAFTSMANSHIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpukas

Reaction score
I watched this episode some time ago, and have finally found it on-line to share here. Eric Rippert shows his fish guy, Justo Thomas, cutting fish at Le Bernardin in NYC. He talks about what Justo's job is, and how fast he is - he goes through about 2k lbs of fish per day. When Justo is on vacation, it takes 3 guys an additioanl 5-6 hours to do what he does in his one shift alone. Interesting to see a western approach to fish in our Japanese-centric world here. The clip is only about 2 minutes long, and doesn't show too much about what he's doing, but we get some glimses.

Watch from about 14:55 - 17:00 (the rest of the episode, as all of them, is worth watching too). You can also find this on iTunes and download the podcast for free. mpp

[video]http://blip.tv/eric-ripert-avec-eric/avec-eric-episode-10-craftsmanship-2880713[/video]

Funny I just read about Justo in Bourdain's book medium raw..

That guy has a gift. Can you imagine how pissed you would be if somebody poached him from you?

With the praise he gets from the people that's giving it, there is no doubt in my mind that he's compensated VERY well to stay right where he is.

Very good essay on him in Medium Raw. Yes very well compensated. Some detail on how he likes his knives iirc.

-AJ

Thanks for the video and I must say the scallop recipe looks very good as well in the video.

Very good essay on him in Medium Raw. Yes very well compensated. Some detail on how he likes his knives iirc.

-AJ

Yeah.. IIRC, "Medium Sharp is Best. Too sharp, you go through the bone"

Dang......now I have to try that scallop recipe at some point because Mssr. Eric made it seem much less intimidating.:biggrin:

Back