Quantcast
heavy duty knife
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: heavy duty knife

heavy duty knife

I need a knife that is for chopping chocolate, nuts of all kinds, and other heavy duty tasks. Would a deba be the best thing or just some cheap chef's knife like a Forschner? What would everyone recommend.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    hmmm how about a bone chopping cleaver.

cleaver

I would prefer long chefs knife like 12" Forschner than cleaver.

Beatty Cleaver #0 would do well.
    I keep looking for the bigger sizes for Chef Niloc's collection. If I ever find one I will give him an immediate heads up on it.

I'm split between recommending something cheap like the Forschner and a cleaver. The cleaver has the weight to get through the blocks of chocolate but the cheaper knife has the ability to easily turn into a plating spatula for cakes and whatnot.

When ever a multilayered cake comes back to me I use a sujihiki. Perhaps I just need to drop the $30 for a cake knife but I never think about it.

well for me cheap knife.

deba is for fish and yes can do rough tasks but tend to be fish related and arent cheap.

if you planned for your deba to do all rough tasks is not the same knife im thinking of which i think of being for fish. a western deba could easily be the knife you want but it will be very heavy imo id get a aritsugu a type and not overly thin it.

Buy as nice a knife as you can afford to feel ok beating up. Yes, chocolate is hard. Yes, nuts are hard. Compared to steel? It's closer to butter.

Well I have knives I just don't want to put an aeb-l or vg10 blade through chocolate, nuts, and frozen desserts. I am thinking maybe something like a cheap chroma chef knife or some big german full tang sling blade.

Eh, anything that isn't thinned out will do fine as long as you are careful not to do any twisting action. Otherwise, go with a cleaver.