Quantcast
8" Calipers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8" Calipers?

Here are a few from the place I buy from.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK32?PARTPG=INSRAR2

I have a Mitutoyo digimatic and a Peacock dial caliper, both are still working great after maybe 20 years or more. It is certainly worth it to just get the good one that will last for many years.

Like AJ, I have a plastic set from Mitutoyo that I basically think of as my rough use set. I leave these out on the bench and mostly use them for inaccurate type measurements. When I need precision I go to my tool box and pull out my more expensive higher end (handed down from my machinist Dad) Mitutoyo dial caliper. There's no doubt at all that you get what you pay for with these things but you also have to consider what you need them for and how you'll use them and treat them as those things are key to how well they work and how long they last.

Mine are definitely exposed to saw dust, otherwise I try to treat them gently. You metal guys need much more precision than I do, one of the reasons why I was hesitating to pay $200 for one, but it will be good to have one reliable one among the few others. And my birthday is coming up in April, maybe someone still needs a present for me Pablo, thanks for the link, that has the best price on the 8" I was looking at.

Stefan

Just following up on this one, because it is once again an excellent example for the spirit of this forum: One of the newer members PMed me and said he had several that he hadn't used in a while and for the price of the postage he sent me a high quality Brown & Sharpe (I think) caliper and he even put in a new battery for me. Seems to be working well at a first glance, I just got it and will play around with it in the shop tonight. Thank you Jason!

Stefan

That is just way TOO COOL!!!!! Whoever Jason is..... great HEART of giving!!!! Reminds me of Son...super big HEART!!!!

Brown & Sharpe is good stuff, that's a very generous gift, kudos to Jason for this.

Thanks guys. I'm glad I could help someone out.

Jason