Quantcast
WIP vintage knives - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIP vintage knives

Why is it that vintage knives cost as much as a new one? I would love to get my hands on an old slicer like slowtyper has, but looking at Sabatier's on ebay has driven me mad. I have a hard time buying a knife that is scratched all to hell for the same price, if not more than a new suji. most are $200 and up, and a few up to $350....

search vintage german carbon or soligen german knife. i find vintage wusthof,henckels,f.dick etc etc cimeters and slicers for $30-40 all the time. as long as the handle is "serviceable" its all good! the blades ive picked up come back to life with BKF, sandpaper and some turtle wax after ive reset the bevels. sabatiers go for more than they probably should most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Why is it that vintage knives cost as much as a new one? I would love to get my hands on an old slicer like slowtyper has, but looking at Sabatier's on ebay has driven me mad. I have a hard time buying a knife that is scratched all to hell for the same price, if not more than a new suji. most are $200 and up, and a few up to $350....
    I might have something for you Mike. Send me a PM.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Thiers-Issard Sabatier Nogent, 10" Slicer = $84.95.

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    As for the annealing, I reiterate that the handle was taken off w/ an oyster knife, an eel spike, and a meat tenderizer. Blow torches in the 1000 degree range are a bit too high falutin for this operation.
    As I said, a regular propane blowtorch (even the $5 variety) will do the trick.

Then again, I also said it probably wasn't worth the effort.

Name:  scimhandle.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  20.6 KBName:  scimhandle2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  17.9 KB

You really can't save those rivets. I can send you some if you like, I have a bunch.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig