Quantcast
Fort Worth's first whiskey distillery
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fort Worth's first whiskey distillery

Fort Worth's first whiskey distillery

Got to check out Fort Worth's first whiskey distillery and shoot a couple of videos of the process.

https://vimeo.com/38581899

https://vimeo.com/38581304

Nice, thanks of sharing. My wife has family in Fort Worth and next time we go to visit I will be picking up a bottle.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

They will start selling a blended whiskey here soon, they are just waiting for the labels to be approved by the government. But it will be 3 to 4 years for the first bottles of straight bourbon will be ready. They are using boot leather scraps too cover the corks so each cork is unique with different colors and hides.

I wonder where they get their water because when it comes to whiskey, it's all about the water. Jack Daniels distillery isn't located in the middle of nowhere because it's pretty there, it because of the water. Same for Maker's Mark and Jim Beam. They all use water filtered through limestone.

They use filtered agave and PBR water which gives off a very distinct flavor - LOL

OMG! This is the best news of the day.

I know what I want a case of for my birthday in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I wonder where they get their water because when it comes to whiskey, it's all about the water. Jack Daniels distillery isn't located in the middle of nowhere because it's pretty there, it because of the water. Same for Maker's Mark and Jim Beam. They all use water filtered through limestone.
    This is a good point. The water here is the pits. The water near Austin is fabulous. Really, we get city water and my wife and I pay out of pocket for water.

They are using Fort Worth city water that they are filtering. They said they did water test and the water was fine.

And I suspect that it will cost significantly more than comparable or even better hooch from the traditional distillers in Kentucky, Tennessee and Indiana. His description of the mash bill indicates that they are trying to copy Makers Mark or Weller. Those are really the only two major bourbons that use wheat instead of rye or more barley. That begs the question of whether their super secret pecan derived yeast will be able to outperform a couple of hundred years of distilling experience. Also one thing about the water in the Bluegrass region is that it isn't just "filtered" through limestone, but it also has a decent limestone content to it. That is the reason for the mythology surrounding Kentucky as a horse breeding region. The story goes that horses are essentially taking calcium "supplements" from the first day they drink the water.

They did say that this was going to be on the sweeter side. Here is a link to the story we ran.

+ Reply to Thread