Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my three Itou knives

I was going to get one of these petties from JCK, but they were out of stock, and the Tanaka Ironwood came in first so I got one of them instead.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    In general, I dislike Itou knives. But those are attractive, very nice.
    Jason

I really love the looks of those Echizen-Japan knives. Something about the profile, it's curvy, not fat, but sooooo sleek. I normally don't like blobby handles either, but it goes so well with the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by a.lber.to View Post
    Thank you. I tried to keep to the "sober" side of Itou-san!!!
    We have similar taste in his work then. These are, IMO, some of the best looking knives of his that I've seen.

Those are really pretty knives

Itou is always a touch too gaudy for me, but this range is very tasteful!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I really love the looks of those Echizen-Japan knives. Something about the profile, it's curvy, not fat, but sooooo sleek. I normally don't like blobby handles either, but it goes so well with the knife.
    I have to admit that initially I got a couple of those as I really liked the look of the damascus steel. But they are such a joy to use, that I ended up getting the entire set of eight!!! They are almost paper thin, and glide through food like a scalpel.

My only gripe with them is that the swirly pattern of the damascus blade is actually printed on the curved part of the bolster - if you look at the Hi-Res version of my picture, you can see it clearly. Personally, I would have preferred if they had just left the plain steel there instead of trying to fake the damascus pattern continuing all the way up the bolster. But it hasn't bothered me enough to actually try to remove it, and honestly it is much more visible in the pictures than in real life...

Must be something new, the bolster on mine is just polished silver.

I have to admit that initially I got a couple of those as I really liked the look of the damascus steel. But they are such a joy to use, that I ended up getting the entire set of eight!!! They are almost paper thin, and glide through food like a scalpel.

My only gripe with them is that the swirly pattern of the damascus blade is actually printed on the curved part of the bolster - if you look at the Hi-Res version of my picture, you can see it clearly. Personally, I would have preferred if they had just left the plain steel there instead of trying to fake the damascus pattern continuing all the way up the bolster. But it hasn't bothered me enough to actually try to remove it, and honestly it is much more visible in the pictures than in real life...
    Pssh, they should've just made the whole entire thing out of damascus.

How tall is it at the heel? It looked like a really long blade, but then I saw that it was only 240mm. I really like a sleek looking knife like that, but a lot of people emphasize that a 45mm-50mm heel height is ideal for performance, but they end up looking short and stubby to me.

Personally, I would have preferred if they had just left the plain steel there instead of trying to fake the damascus pattern continuing all the way up the bolster.
    I would have preferred a plain bolster as well, but I didn't even notice the pattern until you pointed it out. Very handsome knives.