Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my three Itou knives

Quote Originally Posted by sw2geeks View Post
    Must be something new, the bolster on mine is just polished silver.
    Which series do you have, 1110, 1210 or 1310? My understanding is that the clad knives (1110 series) have a polished bolster, while the damascus clad (1210 series) and the coreless damascus (1310 series) both have their respective patterns printed on the bolsters.

If you actually have a 1310 w/o the printing, could you kindly post a picture of it so I can see how it looks? I have been toying with the idea of trying to remove the printing from mine...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    How tall is it at the heel? ... a lot of people emphasize that a 45mm-50mm heel height is ideal for performance ...
    The heel on the 240mm Gyuto is exactly 50mm. Perhaps you would like better their 240mm Sujihiki, which has the same length but a heel of only 37mm...

Quote Originally Posted by a.lber.to View Post
    Which series do you have, 1110, 1210 or 1310? My understanding is that the clad knives (1110 series) have a polished bolster, while the damascus clad (1210 series) and the coreless damascus (1310 series) both have their respective patterns printed on the bolsters.

If you actually have a 1310 w/o the printing, could you kindly post a picture of it so I can see how it looks? I have been toying with the idea of trying to remove the printing from mine...

Thanks!
    I don't know about series, but I have had it for a long time. It is one of his original blue handle jobs. I'll dig up a pic.

I forgot to say that you take very nice pictures Alberto.

How do you do it? Fancy camera? Tripod? Both?

It is one of his original blue handle jobs.
    Sorry, are we talking about an Itou or an Echizen-Japan? In the post you replied to I was talking about the Echizen-Japan Gyuto, but now I get the feeling that you are referring to an Itou knife instead? No printing on those, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    How do you do it? Fancy camera? Tripod? Both?
    Thank you! Those were taken using the same set-up I normally use for taking pictures of watches (like this one, or this one). Basically a white light tent, with three remote flashes firing into it piloted by the on-board camera flash (which does not contribute to the exposure). Macro lens, aperture-priority mode with a high value to ensure good depth of field, and enough light to allow for comfortable hand-holding (min 1/60 sec). Five minutes to set-up, and five minutes to take the pictures (most of the time swapping knives, actually).

The heel on the 240mm Gyuto is exactly 50mm. Perhaps you would like better their 240mm Sujihiki, which has the same length but a heel of only 37mm...
    Hmm. Your picture makes the knife look really long and short, almost like the sujihiki itself?

In that picture the gyuto doesn't look nearly as slender as yours.

Sorry, are we talking about an Itou or an Echizen-Japan? In the post you replied to I was talking about the Echizen-Japan Gyuto, but now I get the feeling that you are referring to an Itou knife instead? No printing on those, of course...
    Sorry, lost track of which knives you were talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    In that picture the gyuto doesn't look nearly as slender as yours.
    That's because the knife was sitting almost flat on the table, and I was taking pictures of it at an angle to get through the opening of the light tent (basically the perspective is distorting the shape of the knife). The picture on their web site is of course the accurate one, since it is taken head-on.

Sorry, lost track of which knives you were talking about...
    No worries! I would still love to see pictures of your Itou...