Quantcast
Knife Cutting Skills
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Cutting Skills

Knife Cutting Skills

I am trying to learn the basic cuts and am struggling a bit. I know that a lot of the members here are or were chefs and wondered what you did to improve your knife skills?

I have watched some YouTube videos and they have helped me get started. I'm thinking of taking a knife skills class at a cooking store. Do you thnk that would be worthwhile?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    practice practice practice practice practice .....eventually muscle memory starts.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Save your money for the food you can cut. blade placement comes from seeing what you want from the food. and practice like said above.

just keeping practicing. there ar no real tricks other than that.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I think in person instruction can be helpful at the start. Then after that it comes down to practice. It's just that you don't want to practice badly and instill bad habits in yourself or take forever to figure out technique with some items that someone can show you in 30 seconds. Practice is always key, but only perfect practice makes perfect.
    Len

The above Plus
    1. Understand and know why and the objective of your strokes/ motion and do what it takes to accomplish it. This calls for some logical thinking/ reasoning. Spend sometime pondering on this.

Otherwise,, you are simply abrading the stone or knife. KNife sharpening is just about removing steel till 2 planes meet; problems compounded when the burr, wire edge is not removed effectively.

Abrading: take into consideration a) the cutting power of the stone b) pressure being applied. Adjust accordingly to achieve the objective
    Have fun..

I remember watching an older version of this video in school. I learned a lot from it.

http://www.ciaprochef.com/fbi/dvds/KnifeSkills.html

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    I think in person instruction can be helpful at the start. Then after that it comes down to practice. It's just that you don't want to practice badly and instill bad habits in yourself or take forever to figure out technique with some items that someone can show you in 30 seconds. Practice is always key, but only perfect practice makes perfect.
    + 1 i should have been more specific, you are dead on
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I'm no pro, but I would suggest that you grow a garden and plant only zucchini, squash, and carrots. Let it grow crazy wild. Then chop, slice, cube and batonnet to your heart's content But I second getting some basic instruction first.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

+ Reply to Thread