Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sur La Table raises price of ZKramers

Sur La Table raises price of ZKramers

10 inch chef up $50 to $399
    Parer up $60 to $199 (ouch!)

Puts these in the custom/ semi-custom realm for sure now......

I still stand by the parer being the nicest I've used....

See my latest review of the chef knife in the ZKramer 25 page thread.........
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

That's good news.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

As a consumer raising prices sickens me; $4.69 for premium to fill the Maxima is no bueno. Buying a half gallon of ice cream and seeing it's now 1.5 qts pisses me off.

Adding value to what you guys are doing is great.

This will be the "fix" for our country. Eventually Chinese made crap will inflate in price to a point where peoples light bulbs go on, and they come to the conclusion, "hey, I can make this myself- better quality and for less".....

Eventually we've got to get tired of particle board furniture and lead tainted toys.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    10 inch chef up $50 to $399
    Parer up $60 to $199 (ouch!)

Puts these in the custom/ semi-custom realm for sure now......

I still stand by the parer being the nicest I've used....

See my latest review of the chef knife in the ZKramer 25 page thread.........
    A parer for $200 just completely blows my mind. I just can't picture getting enough use in my whole life for a parer. Not when perfectly decent ones can be had for a small fraction of that.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    As a consumer raising prices sickens me; $4.69 for premium to fill the Maxima is no bueno. Buying a half gallon of ice cream and seeing it's now 1.5 qts pisses me off.

Adding value to what you guys are doing is great.

This will be the "fix" for our country. Eventually Chinese made crap will inflate in price to a point where peoples light bulbs go on, and they come to the conclusion, "hey, I can make this myself- better quality and for less".....

Eventually we've got to get tired of particle board furniture and lead tainted toys.....
    Amen and a big PLUS 1 to that. Not to mention the fish that is raised on a farm in feces sludge. People need to start waking up to the harm that some of the practices are causing.

I am more than willing to pay a little more for a quality product and I had that exact discussion with my wife in shopping for a dining room table. So much of the crap out there is particle board now - ended up with a beautiful Arizona solid wood piece from Lorts.

The parer going up $60 is absolutely ridiculous - a 43% price increase?!? I had a hard time accepting it at $139.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    Amen and a big PLUS 1 to that. Not to mention the fish that is raised on a farm in feces sludge. People need to start waking up to the harm that some of the practices are causing.

I am more than willing to pay a little more for a quality product and I had that exact discussion with my wife in shopping for a dining room table. So much of the crap out there is particle board now - ended up with a beautiful Arizona solid wood piece from Lorts.
    How many people in the world care enough to join forums for their hobbies? How many billion people are there in the world? Its going to be a long long eventually.

I'm just glad there are some of us that find these gems.

They will realize they made a mistake when their sales on those drop 75%. I think this is a big issue in the US right now. The reason this kind of stuff happens is that america, in general is so used to being screwed by everyone, they just roll over and take it. This will come to a head within the next two years, and i think stuff will change. As far as gas goes, if they keep raising the prices, i fear there will be a revolution, and it go both ways.....Too many high price/poor quality products available right now.

Given that wages in places like china and india are going up, if their wages go up 10%, then that increase gets inflated up the rest of chain as most people want to have a reasonable profit on an item so that they cover their costs if nothing else. Coupled with the recent rises in fuel prices (which affect transport, storage, and retail) adding more to the current price. And the pay increases necessary to enable your employees to continue to come to work due to said fuel rises. Is it surprising that either prices go up, quality goes down, or quantity goes down?

My father in law owns a manufacturing company in which the parts are produced in other countries and the pieces are assembled here in the states so I get to see first hand his issues. Unfortunately the cheap labor increases vs quality that is going down in China. He is starting to outsource to latin america where he is having less quality issues and labor is comparable. He is seriously starting to consider manufacturing parts in the states again, but we are still several years from that becoming economically viable option.

I seriously do not believe that labor and material (including fuel) increases can justify a 43% price increase in this market. I personally think they are trying to ride Kramer's marketing coattails and believe that they can justify the price point from that perspective that if someone was willing to pay 350 then 400 for a 10" or 140 then 200 for a paring isn't much of a stretch for what they view is "Kramer" quality design and their excellent reputation. I still like my 10" chef and paring, but I wouldn't purchase it now for that additional amount, I would much rather put that $$$ towards a custom.