Quantcast
Sur La Table raises price of ZKramers - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sur La Table raises price of ZKramers

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    Rick. Welcome to KKF. Did you know that Mr. Kramer lives just down the road from you in Olympia? He's a really nice guy and you never know, you just might bump into him at The Market sometime.

~M
    Michael,

Yes, I did know that he is just south of me. I've looked at most of his videos and he does seem like a nice guy. I signed up for his site but, probably wouldn't buy one of his knives if selected. I'm just fine at my level of use as a home "chef" with the carbon ZK knives. My wife bought me his "custom" ZK demascus for Christmas. I was going to return it but, just never was able to. Next thing I was using it and it became my favorite. I learned from SLT that of the 250 made, only 170 made it past Kramer.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I suspect a lot of people get to the point of buying a custom knife by first traveling the road I am on.
    +1 here. Cook's Illustrated article on Bob Kramer's knife, then looking at SLT. Probably would have bought a ZK, except that the handles were too fat for me. A short time later, I'm on KKF and now I'm asking Marko, Martell, and Rader for knives.

Interesting... over here in the UK we're approaching $10 for a gallon of fuel and the prices you pay for knives will be the same in British pounds plus some, so 50% more plus possibly 20-30% and its not letting up. Out of principle where ever I can I will not buy Chinese etc.... which is quite hard for clothes and the like. I used to be a carpenter and like some of you on here who are Chefs etc.. my tools (knives for chefs) were important to me so it was UK, Japanese, German, Swiss and US and Canadian tools all the way, I don't own single Chinese tool. It makes the heart bleed when you think that Sheffield was once the tool/steel capital of the world its a shite hole now producing next to nothing.

Michael,

Yes, I did know that he is just south of me. I've looked at most of his videos and he does seem like a nice guy. I signed up for his site but, probably wouldn't buy one of his knives if selected. I'm just fine at my level of use as a home "chef" with the carbon ZK knives. My wife bought me his "custom" ZK demascus for Christmas. I was going to return it but, just never was able to. Next thing I was using it and it became my favorite. I learned from SLT that of the 250 made, only 170 made it past Kramer.

Rick
    You're right. There were a number of ZK damascus that were in question but I believe Bob took care of the issue himself. There were some issues with the finish on my ZK damascus. To make a long story short, I almost returned it but SLT and Bob went above and beyond anything I ever experienced when it comes to customer service, and Bob ended up refinishing the handle which was a big improvement.

Here are a few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Really interesting rsacco. I like to hear that Bob himself took care of it.

I got one for Christmas and it was fine. I just love mine. I wish they would have made a 9 1/2". Can you imagine that? But, there is something intimate about a smaller chef's knife. I was using it tonight to cut up squash and it just splits through so well. Next, slicing up a New York and then chopping some Italian parsley garnish. What a nice little knife!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rsacco View Post
    You're right. There were a number of ZK damascus that were in question but I believe Bob took care of the issue himself. There were some issues with the finish on my ZK damascus. To make a long story short, I almost returned it but SLT and Bob went above and beyond anything I ever experienced when it comes to customer service, and Bob ended up refinishing the handle which was a big improvement.

Here are a few pics.
    Really interesting rsacco. I like to hear that Bob himself took care of it.

I got one for Christmas and it was fine. I just love mine. I wish they would have made a 9 1/2". Can you imagine that? But, there is something intimate about a smaller chef's knife. I was using it tonight to cut up squash and it just splits through so well. Next, slicing up a New York and then chopping some Italian parsley garnish. What a nice little knife!

Rick
    Wow, you both have one of those? Post some more pics! How do they compare to the geometry of the straight carbon Zwilling Kramer?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Awesome to hear that about Kramer taking care of it himself!

As for SLT, they appear to have raised the prices of their knives across the board, not just the ZKramers. The Miyabi fusion that I got for $130 around this time last year now clocks in at $150 and a Shun Kramer that I remember seeing there last month and being horrified that it cost $300 is now listed on their site at $340.
    - Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    Rick. Welcome to KKF. Did you know that Mr. Kramer lives just down the road from you in Olympia? He's a really nice guy and you never know, you just might bump into him at The Market sometime.

~M
    By the way, thanks for the welcome. I've been sand-bagging it here since the end of last summer. Nice place to stop by from time to time. I read that you moved to the north of me into a new place. With Bob to the south and you to the north of me, I certainly have some nice neighbors around me. Got to love the Northwest.

JohnnyC, I'll try to post some pictures and give some thoughts on it. It is getting more and more use as it got a stain on it a few months ago - that's like getting the first dent in a new car. I figured I didn't get it from my wife to sell it so, I might as well use the crap out of it now. Already taken it through the 400/1000/5000 stones.

Off to the PP Market now and the SAM. It is actually a sunny day here!

Rick