Quantcast
Profile Criticism
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Profile Criticism

Profile Criticism

I spent a good amount of time these past few months studying profiles. I tried to make it as sleek as possible while maintaining good knuckle clearance.

The oxidation at the tip is from when I held it up to the piece I was forging. From the heel it has about 10cm (4") of almost dead flat edge.

Blade length is 240mm
    Overall height at heel is 60mm
    Knuckle clearance at heel is 45mm
    Handle length 140mm (5.5")

Too flat?

Looks very similar to the profile of my Fowler, which is a bit flatter then the norm around here. It does lead to having to adjust technique a little bit, although it only takes a few seconds to mentally make the adjustment. You may want to consider adding a little more curve, and providing a relatively flat area near the tip for mincing.

Less flat, plz.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I'd add more curve. The tip area looks a little too 'pointy' also.

Hmm, I guess it's too flat then.

What makes the tip too pointy? If I made the edge have a little more curve, would that help?

ALSO, the knuckle clearance is actually 40mm. I measured incorrectly earlier. However, it still seems clunky and fat. If I took off 10mm from the heel, would that be too drastic and compromise performance too much? If I made the knuckle clearance 30mm, I'd still have just enough room for a hammer grip.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Hmm, I guess it's too flat then.

What makes the tip too pointy? If I made the edge have a little more curve, would that help?

ALSO, the knuckle clearance is actually 40mm. I measured incorrectly earlier. However, it still seems clunky and fat. If I took off 10mm from the heel, would that be too drastic and compromise performance too much? If I made the knuckle clearance 30mm, I'd still have just enough room for a hammer grip.
    For me the spines curves down too quickly. That mainly has to do with a very low tip. 30mm is definitely in suji territory.

Too flat.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Is this a 240? If so, blade height at heel is typically 50 mm +/- 2 mm. Not that it can't be less, but as stated it becomes more like a suji.

What is this 'hammer grip' of which you speak?!? Pinch grip is more typical.

For my first serious attempt, I just traced the profile of my Hattori FH and modified it for my own evil purposes. I didn't see the sense in trying to reinvent the wheel my first time out.

He said knuckle clearance was 40mm, not that the heel height is 40mm. Heel height in the first post says 60mm, which is tall. Like was stated, 50mm is a typical ballpark for heel height on a gyuto. So you should still have plenty of knuckle clearance.

I don't necessarily feel it is too flat or too pointy. How does it feel on the board?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+ Reply to Thread