Quantcast
Profile Criticism - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Profile Criticism

It should be smooth and non jarring upon contact with the board. Anything that makes me realize the knife is there and working against me is counter intuitive. Instead of having 4" of dead flatness, bring the heel up like 1 or 2mm (I don't know the exact measurement it should be over that distance) over that 4 inches creating a minute curve. Think of looking at the horizon. It looks flat, but you know it isn't. Don't go less then 50mm height at the heel. That's about right for me anyway. I like a convex grind on the sides too for food release as it helps with the "thoughtlessness". As far as the tip goes, do what you like as long as it doesn't "bird beak" back down.

Hard to explain this stuff in words sometimes because they are the ideas and feelings of a user, albeit an experienced one, and not a maker. I hope I can explain myself clearly enough to be helpful.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Don, do not be shy about asking if someone is willing to send you a knife to study, measure, trace, etc. Even better, see if you can borrow 5-6 different ones (of a similar length) for comparison. There are a few KKF members in your area, so you may be able to look over a collection or two, and not even need to mess with UPS, USPS, etc.
    I've been hesitant to try something like this, because I'm too scared to handle other peoples valuable possessions.

However, I really would like to handle some profiles in person, and if anybody would be willing to trace out their favored profiles on various materials and send to me, I would be infinitely grateful for your time.

Even a scan of your knife will help me greatly

Bottom one is the new profile.

I like it Don

Engorged Member
    +1

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Very nice. What did you end up basing it on?

Thanks guys.

I wasn't really using any one single knife for reference. I just sat down for a few hours and played around with the angles and curves. If I had to say, Masamoto was probably the biggest influence.

+ Reply to Thread