Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a gyuto be too flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    ...can a gyuto be too flat on the curve to the tip...?
    Yes - a gyuto / blade can seem too flat, but modifying your cutting sytle is the simple solution.
    Best example I can think of is switching from a german style chefs to a french/gyuto style chefs. Thats changing from a rock chop to a sliding push cut.
    But IMHO, a much worse issue is too much belly, and where that belly is located
    You can fix a blade thats too flat. Kind of tough to add metal to a blade that has too much belly

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I like a little bit of curve at the end for slicing, but otherwise 5-6 inches dead flat. The classic French chef's pattern on Sabatiers is just about perfect for me.

Not in my experience at all...I love a flatter profile for push-cutting on all my gyuto/suji, as I do not rock my knife ever.

Takeda kirtsuke-shaped gyuto is about as flat as it can get, and I never ran into any problems with it..so I don't think the lack of a belly hinders ability at all.

i would have said that too flat was possible before i completely change my cutting motion. now i really like having a long flat spot completely in contact with the board.

So this is coming back to a matter or preference for cutting technique used?

i would think so.

The two go together. If you prefer to push cut, you will seek flat profiled blades. If you prefer a flat profile, you will adopt a push cut technique.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Not in my experience at all...I love a flatter profile for push-cutting on all my gyuto/suji, as I do not rock my knife ever.

Takeda kirtsuke-shaped gyuto is about as flat as it can get, and I never ran into any problems with it..so I don't think the lack of a belly hinders ability at all.
    Oh man that thing is badass. I had one but much smaller that I sold. I have forgotten how much I love Takeda's knives.

Anyway enough ogling, I was going to post before I even saw that picture that Takeda's gyutos used to be very very flat, then we (Americans) all cried and would demand more belly so he changed them to suit us better.

I personally fall on the side of more flat versus more curve. I don't really rock when I cut so I like to have as much of the edge hit the board at once as possible. I do not like however a 100% dead flat edge, I find it too jarring. I need a little bit of curve toward the tip to compensate for the fact that the edge doesn't hit the board at the exact same angle each time I do a push cut. A great way to ruin a perfectly good knife is to have too much belly.

Andy, while your drooling over that kiritsuke/gyuto, take a gander at this Takeda, one with a special profile:

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Andy, while your drooling over that kiritsuke/gyuto, take a gander at this Takeda, one with a special profile:

Yup, badass too.

Is that not as wide as his usual? I prefer my gyutos less wide. That one looks just right.