Quantcast
Post your pets! - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your pets!

That puppy is awesome!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Beautiful Bullmastiff. My daughter lost her 9 yr. old brindle just 6 months ago. What a great dog!

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Beautiful Bullmastiff. My daughter lost her 9 yr. old brindle just 6 months ago. What a great dog!
    Oh thanks for that. He's actually not a bullmastiff. He's a cane corso. Mastiffs generally make great dogs but as you already know they don't have the longest lifespan. The bigger they are...

Wow, I know dogs pretty well, so I'm surprised. The fawn color, along with the uncropped ears, fooled me good. The Bullmastiff can be quite gentle. I've heard the Cane Corso can be a handful if you don't start early.

I once read that in the time that a 20 year old person can swat the buzzer to answer the game show question a dog could bite you five times. Abby is really good with short hop and line drives to the nose.

Attachment 17904

Attachment 17905
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

These kinds of attachments NEVER work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Wow, I know dogs pretty well, so I'm surprised. The fawn color, along with the uncropped ears, fooled me good. The Bullmastiff can be quite gentle. I've heard the Cane Corso can be a handful if you don't start early.
    You are right indeed but there is a good explanation. Cane Corso were saved from extinction in 1988 so their working instincts remain largely intact. A lot of working breeds we see in the pet trade have had a lot of their working instincts bred out of them to make for more suitable household pets. Secondly, there are two distinct cane corse; Italian and American. The Italian reamins largely stable with characteristics you will find described for the breed. The American version was created due to the exorbitant cost of importing dogs for the pet trade. It is basically a dog that looks like the cane corso Italiano but when you get in terms of temperament is a bit of a gamble. Not to say that they don't make fine dogs. They can and do but more often than not they have severe health and or temperament issues.

I spend 24/7 with my dog and he is the 3rd which I have imported from Italy. I can say without question that you need to be an experienced and strong owner for this breed and you have to have time to work them at least a couple of hours a day for most of their life. If you don't want to be a leader or you want to leave them home without exercise all day it's gonna be trouble for sure. Kind of scares me when people buy a breed for the look.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    I spend 24/7 with my dog and he is the 3rd which I have imported from Italy. I can say without question that you need to be an experienced and strong owner for this breed and you have to have time to work them at least a couple of hours a day for most of their life. If you don't want to be a leader or you want to leave them home without exercise all day it's gonna be trouble for sure. Kind of scares me when people buy a breed for the look.
    Yes. These dogs can be very dangerous when not handled properly. The scary part is that it seems like the idiots who used to buy exotic pets like Tigers and such, have turned their attention to "exotic" dog breeds, of which the Cane Corso is only one. I've worked with a lot of problem dogs over the years. It took me almost two years to bring an Anatolian Shepherd to the point where I thought he was safe to be around. Part of the problem here lies in that a Cane Corso LOOKS like he could mean trouble. Anatolians generally look like a big, friendly retriever with a curly tail. They are NOTGolden retrievers. lol

Mr. Handsome.

+ Reply to Thread