Trying to find a Konosuke HD 210mm Petty Wa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find one of these? Thanks!

Jon at JKI used to sell them. If he doesn't anymore he's probably got something like or better.

He may have an gesshin ginga in that size. Im not sure.

I believe that it was a little thicker through the spine...this is a personal preference though.

I leave the sharpening talk to guys like TK59...maybe he can jump in.

my vote is for a suisin IH 210mm wa-petty. i am in love with mine. almost makes me wish id gone with the IH gyuto instead of the HD.

still really like the HD tho, i just think that the suisin might be a better knife for what im looking for.

I've never used/seen a Konosuke HD in that model, however i have just spent about my first week with the Gesshin Ginga 210 Wa-petty. I am working (well soon anyway) on a review.

Improvement areas: The two very small comments on the negative side i've been able to find are that the handle has some kind of treatment that makes it feel a little bit plasticky and that Jons branding is not stamped the same way the makers mark is (they are on opposite sides).

The rest is flip sides;
F&F is very good.
Choil and spine has the edge broken (but could do with a maybe a tad more rounding in my opinion)
Steel holds the edge well
Blade is beautifully finished.
The knife is very light and nimble

Lastly, Jon and Sara have a superior customer service....

Would not hesitate to recommen this knife to anyone looking for a 210 Wa-petty!

More to follow in the "proper" review

I work with a guy that uses the 210 Gesshin Ginga Wa petty as his line knife and loves it FWIW

Have heard that the Ginga steel feel "less alive" on the stones compared to the HD...
I'd be amazed if someone could tell the difference between an HD, suisin, Gesshin and IT by running them on a stone. They all take great edges and they all hold edges very well. They aren't like fileting knives but they are all super thin and fairly flexible. If I had to choose one, I might take the Suisin for a bit more wear resistance or the Gesshin for a little more toughness. In my hands, the HD is a little like a Gesshin with less stain resistance.

I use a 210 wa kono hd. My one complaint is the squareness of the handle. It doesn't taper, and in a petty, I think that's rather important. I was a bigger fan of the dual horn semi octagonal handles that kono hd' s used to sport....not so fond of the newer octagonals....

I love my 210 ginga petty. I agree with tk about its toughness. Frankly I find it tougher than my hd gyuto.

Last edited:
Found a Kono HD. Thanks to those who helped! If you know where I can get a saya for the 210mm kono hd petty let me know.

I'm sure someone on here can make you a really nice custom saya.

i wanted to mention the sakai yusuke at bluewayjapan have 210 pettys also.they have those new "special" ones with 1.5mm spines to consider too.

Back