Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korin Exclusive Togiharus

Korin Exclusive Togiharus

What's up with these spendy Togiharus from Korin?

Here's the description from the site:

"Togiharu Limited Edition knives are hand forged in Seki City by Hiromune Takaba, a renowned cutlery master. Takaba-san is most known for his katana, which typically sell for upwards of $20,000. The handles are crafted from a variety of materials including petrified wood, stag antler and mammoth tusk by Koji Hara. Hara-san is one of the top knife craftsmen in Japan."

And the prices are from $1,660 to $2,600. If you go to GILT Taste Korin sells a couple of Togiharu sujis with stag antler and petrified wood handles.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Personally speaking, I'm leary of these knives.

Are these just regular knives with a handle upgrade?

Good lord. A mystery steel(let's just be nice and say it has a FABULOUS HT), a pinned bolster, and a curly maple handle. All for the low price of a used car.
    W.
    T.
    F.

I have never seen a good deal from GILT Taste. Also see no reason for those to be so highly priced.

Pretty, but I think I'll pass.

What a funky handle... Western style by the bolster and then it's like they slapped a Wa style handle on the back end. I guess they'll say it feels better to hold that way, but man is it ugly (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    What a funky handle... Western style by the bolster and then it's like they slapped a Wa style handle on the back end. I guess they'll say it feels better to hold that way, but man is it ugly (imo).
    I didn't even notice that!

I retract my praise from earlier.

Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    I have never seen a good deal from GILT Taste.
    You are correct on that. GILT Taste always has the same price as you can get everywhere else. I just noted it here because they had two versions of the exclusive knives that weren't listed on the Korin site.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

OK. So for the price of TWO Masamoto Honyakis and more than enough cash left over to get a few nice stones or one really kick-ass natural? I'm sorry but can't really see how different they are so I also would pass. Nice though.