Interupted bolster, 240 mm Damascus gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Ever have one of those days? Been fighting some kind of infection these last few days, but decided to go to the shop and do something "simple". There's that word... I had earlier in the week ground and etched a 240 mm gyuto that I had forged a while ago, and thought "Hmmph, I'll just knock out a wa handle for it!" Get something done anyways Says I!

I had mentally selected the wood while I was etching the blade, so to the drawer to grab it. A nice piece of live end stabilized amboyna from Mark. I trimmed off the end and squared it on the brand shinny new disk grinder/sander, then... the French in my family would say "Maudite Marde!" What am I going to use for a ferrule? I need high end, but not blingy or over the top. Something to accent in a rich way. An ivory ferrule would be just the thing! Sweet! OK, spacers! Everything I looked at was too much. I had an idea... I needed to interrupt the lines of the handle, so how 'bout I interrupt the ferrule? So I did it! Glued it all together, squared the ivory to match the amboyna, did the opposing 45's sanded, trimmed, chamfered, and started to buff... felt dizzy... everything went white. Next thing I know I was picking my a$$ off the floor. Light headed, shaky. No good. I went inside and lay down, woke up 5 hours later feeling close to normal again. Went to get the handle... where was it? After 45 mins of looking for it, I found it... clear on the other side of the shop. Go figure! So while there was some daylight left I took a few photos pre glue up. Also a little video to show the dammy a bit. I got a sore shoulder and neck out of it, hope you like it! :D I'll stop now, let me know what you think of it!

IMG_4152.jpgIMG_4153.jpg
IMG_4156.jpgIMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4163.jpgIMG_4164.jpg
IMG_4165.jpgIMG_4166.jpg

I'll get the video in a later post, it doesn't want to load from Photobucket...

Thanks for looking guys, this will be available at CKTG in the not to distant future!

Get well!

Also very nice blade shape. Classy knife altogether.
If i could configure the handle i'd probably flip the wood part to get more contrast between the horn and the wood.

:Dget well, pierre. I like it alot, but for my own personal taste I would have flipped the ferrule and had the smaller piece toward the blade and then the larger piece and then the handle. a natural progression, so to speak, from small to big since the two ivory pieces are the same color. I still wouldn't mine having it in my collection.:D

Here's the video...
[video=youtube;DmWu8rea6_c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmWu8rea6_c[/video]

Robin I was thinking more along the lines to have the color of the ivory flowing into the lighter wood.

Son, I see your plan, I didn't think of that... hell, lucky I was able to stand! :) I did it as an interuptted ferrule, or even along the lines of "Not quite a spacer...but!"

Get some rest and feel better. As always nice work.

I really like it, Pierre! For what it's worth, I'd. Keep it how you have it!

Very nice, these red and white combos always look classy IMHO.

Stefan

I am glad to hear you did not get seriously hurt.I like the ferrule idea, a longer interrupted ferrule would work if you had a smaller piece of wood.Beautiful knife too.

Pierre the knife is awesome but what happened to you? Did you get too much dust or something? That's scary

I had a sinus surgery a while ago, all was going good, then caught a cold, and this last few days, got a nasty infection, that quickly spread to my right inner ear. All I remember is white, like a snowy TV, After I went out again and started looking at my paw prints in the dust, I grabbed at the bench, managed to turn away from the buffer, and went in like a lawn dart! Left a 4 foot skid mark in the floor, thats where I found the handle, skid mark pointed right towards it. Good thing the concrete floor broke my fall! I woulda left a big divot in the dirt! lol!

I had a sinus surgery a while ago, all was going good, then caught a cold, and this last few days, got a nasty infection, that quickly spread to my right inner ear. All I remember is white, like a snowy TV, After I went out again and started looking at my paw prints in the dust, I grabbed at the bench, managed to turn away from the buffer, and went in like a lawn dart! Left a 4 foot skid mark in the floor, thats where I found the handle, skid mark pointed right towards it. Good thing the concrete floor broke my fall! I woulda left a big divot in the dirt! lol!
heh! I did that same maneuver only on the train platform, a couple of weeks ago only it was a stroke. Hard to keep us bears down. Glad you are alright. be well.

Latest posts

Back