Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few sharpening tips from a pro

That's a pretty cool little stone wheel. I wonder how much something like that costs?

£249

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    That's a pretty cool little stone wheel. I wonder how much something like that costs?

It's not cheap and it can't do low angles (like we use) unless you free hand on it.

Overall it's a well constructed machine but it's really only OK for the once in awhile edge. I could write a book on it's flaws for the professional sharpener's use.

Jeebus that's expensive.

If I were to have something like that (for much less than that cost) it'd probably just be an alternative to my DMT or sander.

I learned a long time ago that there is a lot of misinformation on the subject of sharpening .
    if you listen to every guy that claims they know what there talking about because they have a burr king or sell things or have a lot stones and like to type
    there the man with the answer and tell you other's are wrong need there diaper changed.
    it is about learning to be a better sharpener and learn from the right people and since Dave is right at the top of the game and has the #1 forum for kitchen knife talk people like to throw rocks and throw little fits .
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

That Tormek looks like a really cool, considerate device. But it would take a mastermind to figure out how to make money with one.

I can see why it'd be useful for finishing edged tools in a factory setting. Or a dedicated sharpener in a meat packing plant(if meat packers gave 2 shytes about their employees).

How about $2 a knife or 5 for $8 in a supermarket?

ESP. If you also do knife use lessons for $5 for basic cutting techniques (how to hold the knife, push, pull, chop, and rocking cuts)

For knives the Tormek are easy to put overgrinds into the edge, I used to use one for woodworking tools and the jigs allow for repeatable edges on a lot of tools. Flexible knives also go crazy unless you're really careful. With a few mods you can jig them to go to lower angles and I've used one to thin some cheaper knives. If I could I'd get a belt grinder but until i move out of my tiny flat i dont have the choice due to space, noise and dust.

That video is a bit of a strange one, unless the geometry of a knife is equivalent to a plank. The asymmetric thread over there got pretty cringe inducing as well

I'm considering purchasing a home grinder but have the "luxury" of being able to use a very expensive/professional horizontal grinder, it uses oil rather than water and rpm is slow so no danger of over heating is this the best option (not wanting to hijack the thread just a very opportune moment for another newbie question), its not mine but I can use whenever I wish?