Quantcast
Sous Vide / Cryovac ideas and techniques - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sous Vide / Cryovac ideas and techniques

After talking to Mucho, I did sous vide short ribs. Trimnmed and finished them glazed on a screaming hot grill. My kid asked, "Is that the meat Daddy's been cooking for a week?!' I told a little lie... they ate it like candy. Then I told the truth.

I'm going to pull my 72 (and 48) hour shortribs out of the SV in about an hour...then waterbath, icebath, rest in the fridge. For dinner tonight, with pan sauce made from SV bag drippings...plus collards, old-fashioned mac-n-cheese with breadcrumb crust, and homemade pickle. Will share pics later!

Some of the ribs have been in 48 and some 72...will be a double-blind tasting to compare. All sciency and shite!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    After talking to Mucho, I did sous vide short ribs. Trimnmed and finished them glazed on a screaming hot grill. My kid asked, "Is that the meat Daddy's been cooking for a week?!' I told a little lie... they ate it like candy. Then I told the truth.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Sounds killer. Looking forward to the blind taste test. At 56 hours, if I went any longer , they may have started to fall apart on the grill a bit

Love it guys!!! This weekend I was messing around with smoked Butt. I usually apply 72hrs of SV prior to smoking and finishing. I only did 12hrs but t 150 degrees as opposed to 140. Had a bit more fresh tasting as opposed to cured texture. More firm as opposed to soft and candy-like. My technique:

1.) Pump butt w/apple juice, vinegar, water, morons quick tender and FAB (phosphates), sodium Erythrobate for color to facilitate the cure. Vac tumble 1 hr, rest 1hr under vacuum
    2.) SV 12hrs @ 149 degrees, remove quick chill 30 minutes. Unpacked, towel dry.
    3.) Cover with light coat of yellow mustard and some sort of dry rub concoction, some turbinado sugar and some dry chili heat.
    4.) Cherry wood smoke @ 235 degrees fat side up (Mrmnms) until internal temp is 170, the T-Crutch in foil and bring to 195. Drop temp in chamber to 200 and cook another hour until you've reached 200.
    5.) Yank it off, transfer to empty cooler and cover with a bath towel until internal temp is 160.

This time I made a South Carolinian german mustard bbq sauce sauce

Pull baby Pull!
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Dinner is served:

In a double-blind test (Only I knew which bag was which, only my assistant knew which bag went onto which plate)...all 3 diners correctly identified the 48-hour ribs. Uniform agreement that they were considerably tougher.

That settles it for me: the extra 24 is plenty enough.

This very unscientific test is over.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Danny, Nice stuff. Here's are mine after 72hrs @ 129. I probably could have rested them a bit more, but I was dam hungry

Name:  photo_1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  25.8 KBName:  photo_2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  24.6 KB
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Are you guys doing anything with a FOODSAVER until you get your cryovac machine in. It does pretty well, you just need to watch the amount of liquid that you put into the foodsaver bags, also if you are doing any of the forcemeats have you tried putting your mixture into a piping bag and then taking plastic wrap and laying it onto the table to the desired length and pipe your mixture onto the plastic wrap {closer to one side}, now take and roll a little bit of the plastic and put on top of the mixture and begin to push w/ a bowl scrapper and begin to tighten things up to a log shape. Finish rolling the forcemeat in plastic and tie one end off, now take it and begin to roll it away from you using your wrist until it's tight and then tie off this end as well, refrigerate until firm and then proceed with the sous vide cooking methods of the emersion circulator. I hope this makes some sense to you, we have done this type of thing before at the Country Club.

+ Reply to Thread