Quantcast
Sous Vide / Cryovac ideas and techniques
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide / Cryovac ideas and techniques

Sous Vide / Cryovac ideas and techniques

We recently took the jump and bought an immersion circulator at work. So far we are doing poached eggs at an hour and I started poaching my ballontines for an hour and a half (******' beautiful!) I recently ordered the Keller sous vide book and sure that will be a great resource, but besides that what interesting stuff have are you guys doing with these machines?

I don't have the cryovac yet, but when I do, besides storing things I can't wait to use it without a bag to get air out of farcemeats and pates. I was talking to a friend over a year ago who worked at Corton and he was telling me they did an herb puree that they pureed the hell out of in a blender (until it was black, not green) and put it in the cryovac in a hotel pan and it turned bright green again. I'm not sure if I remember all of the steps in which he described it to me, but it makes me wonder what other uses these vacuums have.

So what cool **** are you guys doing? Inspire me!
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

I vac and cook pretty much every vegetable except green ones. Stuff like fennel, fingerling potatoes, chanterelles, radish, turnips, beets, get a pat o butter, herbs, some sliced shallots, salt, pepper. Baby carrots and radish maybe add a spoon of sugar. Endive or radicchio I add sugar and white wine. I've pretty much done every protein you can imagine. I've used it for pickling or even just crushing fruits and veggies for dramatic look and excellent texture or for infusing flavors. Hell I even make all my ice creams and anglaise in the bag.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Right now I do a braised fennel in white wine, parsley, chicken stock, bay leaf, and thyme, cool them overnight in the liquid (hotel pan) then strain them out and hold them in olive oil. I think once i get the cryovac that will be my next project as well as the poached rhubarb we just started doing. Besides cooking stuff have you used the cryovac machine itself to do anything crazy like that herb puree I mentioned?
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

Sure, fruit and veg compression and flavor infusion. Vodka infused with peanut butter. I use the vac to pull air bubbles from newly sheered sodium alginate baths. Unfortunately my own vac machine is actually out of order currently or I would have more ideas fresh in my memory. Waiting for the new one to arrive maybe next month. It's such a crutch having that thing that now, without it, I feel like, "What do I do?".

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    wow vodka infused peanut butter. mmmmm. Damit my keyoskj just messllyuiojh up.

Yeah we were doing this pb & j dessert. Pretty neat. But it's actually the vodka which is infused with the peanut butter.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    ya what I meant to type is peanut butter infused vodka. I just got excited. altho the other sounds good too.

Pineapple and crystal got sauce compressed is awesome.

I am hoping to start playing around with Sous vide here soon. I tried making Sous vide corned beef with my multicooker that got me interested. I picked up a circa 1960's immersion circulator on eBay fo 30 bucks. It looks like a small evinrude. The 1000w heating element on it still works, an it circulates water like a small trolling motor. I have a PIP controller on order to regulate the temps. Once it comes in I am going to give this a try.

anyone here use a gastrovac...think of it like sous vide cooking in a pot where you can infuse flavors into veggies while not loosing texture.

+ Reply to Thread