Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivory Chop sticks!!!

Ivory Chop sticks!!!

Yep, I had a request for a set of Mammoth ivory chop sticks. Thinkin this would be just too cool. I had to give it a try.

There amazing, The pictures dont show the grain in the ivory. Its very distinctive and quite amazing to look at. Ill try and get some better photos tomorrow in natural light.

Heres a few photos.

As always comment or critiques welcomed!
    God Bless
    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7361.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	5596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7364.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	459.7 KB 
ID:	5597  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7375.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	442.1 KB 
ID:	5599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7374.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	346.6 KB 
ID:	5598  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Well they are certainly special, when I saw the post I was expecting ivory handled Damascus chopsticks, or Damascus handled ivory chopsticks both of which I think would be stunning but these are much more elegant. I don't know if I would ever do 4 pairs but a single nice set of chopsticks would be nice to own, somebody is gonna have a great conversation piece.

Nice! I want. Really elegant I have to say.

Absolutely beautiful Randy. Understated elegance.
    They could use more taper and a pointier end to be more useful though.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Absolutely beautiful Randy. Understated elegance.
    They could use more taper and a pointier end to be more useful though.
    Absolutely stunning, Randy. I agree with more taper and pointier tip.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Thanks guys, These were the prototypes. and I left them a little thicker until I seen how the ivory was going to act after setting for 12 hrs.. Ivory like wood and other materials sometimes will move and shift. So I was giving myself room for small adjustments if necessary.

The cool thing is, because of my many years experience with this stuff. and knowing how to cut the ivory where it would work for these.. Cutting pieces from a round, curved, cracked 10,000++ year old fossil tusk that are straight and solid and 10" long was a challenge to say the least.

After setting overnight, these didnt move a bit! So I intend to thin and taper the tips a bit more. shooting for about 2mm. at the tip. More photos to come of a set of these. in natural light, and some end views, tip views etc.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    Well they are certainly special, when I saw the post I was expecting ivory handled Damascus chopsticks, or Damascus handled ivory chopsticks both of which I think would be stunning but these are much more elegant. I don't know if I would ever do 4 pairs but a single nice set of chopsticks would be nice to own, somebody is gonna have a great conversation piece.

Hmmmm, Damascus and Ivory combinations may also be VERY cool!! I may be persuaded to make a few more sets. But have ideas of making a couple sets that are stabilized burl wood an ivory combined.

Availible Knives

I don't know if this would work on ivory but is it possible to leave the tip section a bit roughed for added gripping texture?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I don't know if this would work on ivory but is it possible to leave the tip section a bit roughed for added gripping texture?
    I dont know, I have seen chop sticks that had a couple of grooves cut in them near the tip. is this what you mean?

Availible Knives

Here are a few more pictures with the tips thinned a bit..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7401.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	422.8 KB 
ID:	5601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7403.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	362.9 KB 
ID:	5602  

Name:	IMG_7408.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	5603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7419.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	5604  

Name:	IMG_7431.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	5607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7435.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	5608  

Attached Images Attached Images   

Availible Knives