Quantcast
Ivory Chop sticks!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivory Chop sticks!!!

Those look really good Randy - Nice job.

Wow. That's quite decadent.

Thank you guys for the comments. Im sure these will be used and loved..

If anyone is interested in getting a set, feel free to contact me. I have just a little more of this awesome ivory that is large enough and solid enough to make these.

God Bless YA

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Man, that must have been a PITA to get 10" of solid ivory like that and cut those out! They look great! I could see a burl wood handle end, going into a damascus mid part of the stick and the ivory point, that would be the best of all 3 worlds!!

Taz, Your RIGHT!! It was a challenge to cut the ivory to get pieces that were not only this long, But composed of the same layer of ivory.
    Ivory seems to grow in layers that are for lack of a better way to describe it.. Cone shaped, and stacked on top of one another. The trick here was to first have a piece from a tusk large enough that the cone was at least 10" long. and second that that layer was thick enough and solid to cut and then make each stick.

The heart breaker for me is the amount of cut off material/scrap from each chop stick. I had to cut away at least twice as much material some from both sides of the slices to stay within the solid layer I was talking about. Leaving me with a PILE of cut off materials that are not large enough or suitable for much. not even more chopsticks.. lol

OK so Yea. Its was a PITA.. But the end result, was these amazing chopsticks and a very happy customer!! So It was worth it!!! I sure am having a blast, This was a fun challenge.. Its a KNIFE LIFE!

I may consider making some other chop sticks. if there is enough of a call for them to make it worth doing.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Yeah, it may be easier to do a damascus or metal rod, and the tips and end ivory or something like that. Much less waste at least!

Can't you take the scraps, grind them into dust and make a phenolic resin with them? Might give cool results. It'd save the scraps anyways.

Never seen somthing comparable
    Amazing work

Eamon, Im thinking I may use the cut offs by casting them into a jet black resin. making a mosaic block of random shapes in beaded in the black background. Might make some cool looking knife scales!! or ferules.. I have seen someone that already makes stuff like this.. I also do inlay work.. So some of the pieces could be used as a inlay.. Most likely. I will add them to my box of cut off ivory pieces. lol

Availible Knives

Randy, how are you progressing on the ivory wok?