Quantcast
Soy sauce - Help, which one? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soy sauce - Help, which one?

Tamari or yamasa for me. Hey that kecap manis (sweet soy) is great for fried rice and grilled fish btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I like the Kimlan brand-

The "lou Chau" dark for cooking and the "super special" for dipping.
    That's just about the only one I can drink straight from the bottle.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

To answer the original question, I like Koon Chun Gold Label for a dark soy. It's much darker than their Double Black soy sauce.

In general, dark soy isn't as (or at least shouldn't be) as sharp and salty as light soy.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

I'm a Yamasa user. I primarily use soy sauce for Japanese dishes.

I've been using their products for over 15 years. I particularly like their low sodium soy. It has good flavor without any off flavors, and the lower amount of sodium makes it great for dipping; the mild saltiness is IMHO great for dipping. However, I'm not a fan of their "light" or "usukuchi" soy sauce (this is lighter in color, not salt). I find the soy flavor to be a little weak and the saltiness to be a little too strong in general.

Kikkoman is fine though, but tends to evaporate quickly and get thick and salty. I highly recommend keeping your soy sauce in the fridge after opening, since it's not cost efficient to buy a small bottle of soy sauce. It will keep much longer than if left out at room temperature.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I like Ohsawa unpasteurized for dipping. Kikkomen for japanese and western cooking. I various dark and light soy sauces for Chinese dishes. I also like Maggi sauce, but that isn't technically soy sauce.

An, nice article. Great find. thx

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    That kind of looks like my pantry.

Amoy Gold Label is what I normally use for flavoring when cooking Chinese food (which I do a lot of). It is a high end Chinese Soy Sauce made in Hong Kong. For coloring I will use a dark or thick soy sauce to add that mahogany coloring to my dishes. Amoy also makes a light Seafood soy sauce that is great with steamed fish (it is kind of a cross between soy sauce, rice wine and fish sauce).

http://www.amoy.com/sauce_select_e.html

I buy Kikkoman by the gallon, low-sodium Kikkoman for my daughter (although I'm the one that needs it), & PRB superior dark, to mix w/ Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce, as a marinade for chicken...we use alot of soy sauce in this household-I keep trying to find ways to use the plastic packets of soy they give you w/ takeout Chinese, but I usually throw them away (& feel guilty)...

+ Reply to Thread