Quantcast
Soy sauce - Help, which one? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soy sauce - Help, which one?

I am also a Yamasa user. It has a great flavor slightly sweet if you ask me and all around a very good soy sauce.

I have 3 light soy and 2 dark soy in my kitchen lol. In singapore you can get different grades of soy from a single brand alone. Tai Hua Standard and Special grades light soy, Kikkoman light soy, Tai Hua Special and Tiger Standard. Don't know if you can find it outta singapore though.

There are many brands in the market. I was using Kimlan brand but now i am using Golden Mountain Seasoning because its taste is good and there are lot of people using it.So you should try both.
    Korem

Soy Sauce recommendations

Last night we were chowing on some sushi and my wife chimes in about how she doesn't really care for the soy sauce we use at home (Kikkoman) and asked if I knew of anything that "tasted better." When I asked her to define better she said lighter and brighter. The Kikkoman is too salty and too heavy. So I figured I better ask the sushi chefs here what are some of your picks?

I was in a local korean grocer looking yesterday and there were about 500 kinds all with labels I couldn't read unless I looked really hard.

Not looking for 50 year old Balsamic here folks. Just a good grade of all purpose soy sauce...

Personally I find the regular kikkoman to salty and heavy as well. But they have a light sodium version if you still want to use kikkoman its better but not perfect. Some members of my family swear by that one. Otherwise for me it was really just try till you find one you like. Although if you aren't a big user of soy sauce it can be a long process.

Right now I am using VH soy sauce. its quite a bit lighter than kikkoman

Not a chef, but I love Pearl River Bridge, I use both the light and the dark depending on what i'm doing.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Pearl river bridge is great, I use it for all my Chinese cooking; However,
    It's not Japanese soy sauce. I think it would be some kind of sin to use Chinese soy sauce in Japanese cooking and vice versa. I'm no expert, but in Japan there are two main styles of soy sauce, light (usu-kuchi shoyu), and dark (koi-kuchi shoyu). Usu-kuchi shoyu is light amber in color and saltier than koi-kuchi shoyu. Kikkoman usu-kuchi shogun is imported from Japan and might be something you should try. Hopefully someone who knows more about Japanese cooking might chime in. If it helps, I usually use Yamasa dark soy sauce for my general purpose Japanese cooking.

We have a box of kikkoman and Yamasa that we use, regular and low sodium. maybe try the low sodium.

If your soy sauce has been left out (not refrigerated) and is older than six months, it's probably gotten thicker and saltier due to evaporation. I've forgotten about bottles in my cupboard for about 9 months; even though they're unopened, they're not good - they're thick and heavy. Try buying a fresh bottle; that might be all that you need.

I second the use of low sodium. I'm not a chef, but my mother is Japanese, and I've worked at a Japanese market. I've used all kinds of Japanese soy sauce over the years. My favorite all purpose Japanese soy sauce is Yamasa low sodium. It has a rounder, more balanced flavor that Kikkoman IMHO. And you'll use less sugar and Mirin when making Japanese dishes using low sodium soy sauce.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

This calls for a soy cause tasting, I wish there were more foodies out here who are up for things like that. I have used Kikkoman for a while, but also found I like Yamasa better. Just bought some local 'Aloha' soy sauce but haven't tasted it against anything else (but the stew I used it for was great ). I had a real nice tamari a while back but don't remember the name. To be honest, I am very pragmatic with that: If I use it in cooking, I just carefully adjust the salt level after I added the shoyu, and when eating it with sashimi I admit that I have been seen to just pour a bit of sake into my soy sauce if I found it to be too intense...

Stefan