Quantcast
Can Someoen Identify This Knife? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Someoen Identify This Knife?

The way you sharpened this knife will get the job done, but for a single bevel knife, it's not technically the correct way. Jon has some videos on sharpening single bevel knives that are really helpful.

Do you have links to any of his instructions by any chance?

so here's a question for you...looking at your 3rd picture, is that a full view of the back side of the knife? Is it in any way concave? One way to tell would be to place the back side flat against a (lets just say) 1k or 2k stone, and make a few passes. If the blade is concave you will start to see the effects first along the outer edges - near the spine and cutting edges.

Quote Originally Posted by kazeryu View Post
    I think it translates as "SURGICAL STAINLESS". Sometimes also known as "Mystery Metal(tm)". :P
    The kanji literally mean special steel. I don't know if that's a euphemism among knife makers for something in particular or not. But that is definitely what the kanji say.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    so here's a question for you...looking at your 3rd picture, is that a full view of the back side of the knife? Is it in any way concave? One way to tell would be to place the back side flat against a (lets just say) 1k or 2k stone, and make a few passes. If the blade is concave you will start to see the effects first along the outer edges - near the spine and cutting edges.
    The edge I put on it is convex. You're seeing the same side as the other two pictures (the front side). The backside is completely flat. Maybe this will help explain the blade geometry better:

Sponsors
    it looks like/sounds like you are sharpening just the edge here.

Here are a couple videos i did that might help you out:

Here are some of Jon's videos from JKI. Just scroll down until you find the one titled 'Sharpening Single Bevel Knives'.

Jon beat me to it.
    Last edited by 99Limited; 03-28-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Too slow

Thank you, gentlemen! Very helpful, highly detailed instructional videos- exactly what I was looking for.

+ Reply to Thread