I can't really differentiate between them, so I need pro/con's

so far:

de buyer:

pro: thicker

con: 2x the price

Paderno:

pro: cheaper

con: thinner.

Reason thinner gets into con is due to uneven heating worry. I am looking for a 12-13" Pan.

If you have a 3rd choice for carbon steel pan (I only go carbon steel because I need it to be non-stick, yet get hot enough as cast iron, yet not peel, like non-stick), please bring it up + link me

Thanks in advance

I love the de buyer pans I'm lucky enough to use at work. You'll give them to your grand kids one day.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Just because something is thin doesn't mean it won't heat evenly. Cast iron actually heats very unevenly. http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02...-iron-cooking/

I'd go with paderno, but there was a whole thread about carbon pans awhile back: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...eel-pan-thread

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    The main reason the pro pans are thicker is because of the constant washing. On the back of the pan you have to clean off the soot from gas burners. Other wise you will get uneven cooking. After a few years of this the handle will be heaver than the pan and start to fall over.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Just because something is thin doesn't mean it won't heat evenly. Cast iron actually heats very unevenly. http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02...-iron-cooking/

I'd go with paderno, but there was a whole thread about carbon pans awhile back: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...eel-pan-thread
    Yes, I read it thoroughly but it didn't really give me pro/con's.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    The main reason the pro pans are thicker is because of the constant washing. On the back of the pan you have to clean off the soot from gas burners. Other wise you will get uneven cooking. After a few years of this the handle will be heaver than the pan and start to fall over.
    I don't see that being an issue I guess... Likely just gonna use it few times a week at most and for home cooked meal, so it wouldn't have the change to thin out.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    in a busy kitchen I have seen a pan last a year, some barely even made it then. It also matters how many pans there is in the place. If money isn't a problem then go with the thicker one, and give it to your grand kids that is gonna look at it and say "what a piece..." Most people go with the normal one and still give it to the next gen.

Also in a pro kitchen light pans are more prone to heat warping than heavy pans. Nothing's worse than a convex bottom. Unless it's attached to a female.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I would buy debuyer. I have two...mineral and carbonne. I've used paderno at work. Very thin. Heats well but have warped (been abused though) the mineral pan from de buyer is better in my opinion. Better hearing, better sear. Great pan $50 on amazon for the 11" when I bought it...don't know now. Polished like old cast iron (Wagner and the like) gets non stick relatively quick.

I have both, I like them both. The debuyer had slightly better F&F.

I can't do a compare, I only have the various sizes of de buyer and love them. The 12 inch is little heavy to flip for me because I am so old. My experience has always been go for the quality; you will end up buying it later anyway. Even the mineral will not heat completely evenly.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

+ Reply to Thread