New Arrivals

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
I am a dedicated tool junkie! Maybe a little bit to much.

Long story short; I purchased a new 12" jointer in Feb and sold my old 8" jointer. The new 12" was a lemon and had multiple problems so I finally was able to convince the manufacturer to take it back for replacement. Instead of getting another like it and taking a chance of getting another lemon, I asked for a replacement 8" jointer and one more tool. They finally agreed to my request and the BIG UPS truck backed up to my dock yesterday and we drug two crates and one box out of the trailer.

Here is one crate.
Before:
DSC_0179.jpg

After:
DSC_0183.jpg

And the new jointer:
DSC_0182.jpg

With all the packing material strewn about the shop it looked and felt a little like Christmas. It took a while to clean all the cosmoline off the cast iron surfaces and get everything up and running but it was worth it.

The edge sander was built in Taiwan and looks to be a better fit and finish than the jointer which was made in mainland China. Even the paint looks better and the packing was much better.

And I saved a little money. The identical jointer under the Delta name is $700 more without a spiral cutterhead. The edge sander under the Delta name is $800 more. The only real difference is the color and Delta offers a 5 year warranty as opposed to Grizzlys 1 year.

:helicop:It sounds like a better trade off. And you still get to play with big boy toys.

Congratulations! Hope the new ones work better.

Very nice, Dave! I have a Grizzly band saw and it works like a charm. Hope your new additions do as well. :biggrin:

I'd love to have an eight inch jointer instead of my little girly man six incher (no snide comments please :razz:) but the thing I'm most envious of in your shop is the wooden floor. My shop floor is concrete and it's a bugger on the legs.

Very nice, Dave! I have a Grizzly band saw and it works like a charm. Hope your new additions do as well. :biggrin:

I'd love to have an eight inch jointer instead of my little girly man six incher (no snide comments please :razz:) but the thing I'm most envious of in your shop is the wooden floor. My shop floor is concrete and it's a bugger on the legs.

Although Grizzly doesn't have quite the fit and finish of some other brands, they also don't have the high price tags. IMHO, Grizzly offers a good value for the equipment they offer.

Jointers; so far I have had a Delta 4", Jet 6", Powermatic 6", Grizzly 8", Grizzly 12" and now another Grizzly 8". The worst was the Powermatic 8" 54A and the best has been the Grizzly G0490X 8". I don't expect to be adding or upgrading for a long time now.

The wood floor is easier to walk on. I didn't realize how much easier it was until someone made a comment about the floor to me and I finally realized how much less my back and knees hurt after being on the wood floors all day. When my wife and I go to the grocery store, I feel the hardness of the concrete before I can walk 100' in to the store. By the time I leave I am hurting. But I can manage to walk in the shop all day.

Interesting side note, the shop was a pillow shop prior to my moving in. When I sweep, I see shiny objects in the cracks between the floor boards. I started picking the out and found they were 4" long sewing needles. Not the round type used in home sewing machines but long chisel pointed needles which I suppose were used in their commercial machines. I bet I have picked 2 dozen out of the cracks. Sure would not like to see one get stuck in my dogs paw.

Whenever I am feeling guilty about spending too much money on wood, I tell myself that, at least, I am not addicted to large power tools ;) but, of course, I would take them in a heartbeat... And the shop space also. And yours always looks so much cleaner than mine...

Stefan

Stefan - If you ever decide to relocate to the east coast, I would be delighted to have you share shop space with me.

Back