• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTT 10" Sab Nogent for a Daily User

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Here it is, I have a great Sab Nogent that I just don't jive with. It's a great knife, and takes a nice edge, has that cool Sab feel and look, etc, but it's just not for me.
I'm looking to trade it for a knife that I can use in my yard, cutting twigs, digging, cutting out roots, shaving small bits of wood, cutting twine, and bags...you get the idea.
Keep in mind this knife is a limited stock item and the price is $100+. I'm honestly not dying to get rid of it, but I hate having it sit in a drawer!
I'm looking for a necker, or Spyderco anything heavy duty. I'll also seriously consider a nice Boker.
Let me know if anyone has anything interesting, and I'll happily take and post pictures tomorrow.
Oh yeah, Simpsons and Shavemac brushes also might catch my interest :)
Thanks guys!

Here's that pic I promised.

860258bf.jpg

It looks like I really lucked out with this trade. A better knife than I could've imagined seems like it'll be coming my way. I'm pumped!

It turns out our friend Mike Davis has been curious about Nogents, and felt like he could put something together for me that will more than do the trick! He's making a 6" necker out of 1084. I, in return am giving him the Sab and a player to be named later ;)
Needless to say, I can't friggin' wait! The design is even done ALREADY!

Sweet sounds like a good deal. Just wondering, what's the handle on the sab made out of?

after seeing that pic, Lefty, i now understand why i've been having trouble with my nogent: the bolster on mine must be at least 2.5 times thicker than yours, front to back.

The handle is said to be made of ebony, but it could be blackwood. It's actually a nice handle.
Edipis-I took it to the grinder and did some modifications. I thinned the guard, took it up off the edge, rounded the edges on the guard itself AND cut it into the primary bevel angle. It's not perfect, but it was winter and my shop isn't heated! Haha

hah, a grinder would certainly have done it! i'm thinking of doing the same thing, though a dremel is all i have to work with. i have been working on it with a DMT coarse, but i just don't have the patience for it.

I have been putting off trying to deal with that silly ridge at the heel of my Nogent, but it's going to have to go sooner or later.

I'd offer to do it, but I already have a member here's knife that i'm modding and I've had it for FAR TOO LONG! I'm glad he's a patient guy.

Johnny, here's another pic that will give you another/closer look at what I did. You can see how I evened things up and really just took a fair bit off all around.

d01d24d5.jpg

I'd offer to do it, but I already have a member here's knife that i'm modding and I've had it for FAR TOO LONG! I'm glad he's a patient guy.

Thanks for the pic and the nice thought about doing it for me. I wasn't aware left handed people could be so kind and generous. ;)

Maybe I will just dive in and try to learn something from doing it myself. It wasn't terribly expensive (at least not compared to most of my collection), so if I screw it up too badly, I suppose I can just order another or ship it to a pro to bail me out.

Back