Pride. If you don't have kids, you probably wouldn't understand.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Picture this:
The wife is fine dicing an onion. My nearly four year old daughter is trying to get her attention.
wife: Hold on. I'm cutting.
The kid is still trying to interrupt. When the dicing is done...
wife: Now, what's the matter?
kid: You need to do THIS. (She takes her left hand and makes a claw.)
I'm not sure I've ever felt this proud.
I don't know if it's appropriate to post this here but I don't care. :happymug:

Hell Ya!!:dance::jumping2::excited:

Don't have kids, but I have a idea what you could have felt.

tk59-

You obviously are doing something right!

My two are just starting to join me in the kitchen. So much fun.

cheers,
rj

Wow, getting the claw rooted in her mind at the age of 4 is just too awesome. :D

So when is she getting her first custom?

NICE!

My daughter ran off with my deburring block the other day, and I had a mental image of her dunking it in her flower pot or something. Instead, she was running a butter knife through it. We are breeding a generation that will not go hungry.

croth: Judging from the smilies you're using, you might just be right!
skewed: Thanks! It's been pretty cool but this was just awesome. :)
twist: I've already made a nice 180 gyuto for her out of Devin's pm stainless. I'm having Devin make something, as well.
pesky: I dunno. Unfortunately, all the cool stuff happens when I'm at work, lol.
eamon: Hungry? Hopefully, you're right about that. At this point, I'm afraid they'll just be knife snobs. :)

Epic. That's just awesome to hear I hope that one day I can pass my love of cooking and cutlery to my children.

What? You wanna see a little claw hand? I can probably arrange for that, lol.

Yup, right there with you, my 4 year old still has difficulty doing it, but darned if he does not point it out when you are not.

Now I just need to get him to remind everyone to wipe the knife after use, and dry well before going back in the block.

That's awesome! My little nephew told my brother, his wife and my parents that he is going to be a hunter, like me. But then he says he doesn't eat "Aminals" as he reaches for another piece of bacon :) We didn't have the heart to tell him that bacon was an "aminal".

To reference another thread: I was cutting some veg the other day and my 4 year old daughter says "chawp chawp chawp, chawp chawp chawp! Daddy, you are the best chawper! When can I chawp?" (see the love vitamin to understand) We live in the south, neither me nor my yankee wife have southern accents, but my daughter talks like a redneck. I don't know if she's been watching you tube when I'm not around. If she tries to grow dreadlocks, I will know.

Very nice tk. I completely understand, and I would be bragging too. But the line between being proud of your child and ashamed of your wife is thin here ;) Just kidding.

Some of my proud moments were:

First sentence she spoke: "Daddy wash wine glass."
Surprising knowledge she threw back at me: "This fruit turned brown because the knife was dull."

Then there was the time she wanted to sharpen with me and we stayed out in the garage until after midnight messing up a Wusthof parer.

k.

Hahahaha!!! That is awesome! My son smacks onions with a drumstick, i asked him what he was doing, he said" Move daddy, i am making dinner!"

Yeah, but then they take their knife skills and decide to become a surgeon and you have to keep working so you can help with medical school and then you can't afford any more knives and your grandchidren will never learn to claw. Did you ever think of that? Huh...huh... Did you?

I have four kids. Little knowledge sponges. Great stuff!

Back