Quantcast
Knife Progression - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Progression

Wow, I assumed you had a nice collection, I was just not prepared fo that. Awesome!

Thanks everyone,

That Masamoto has plenty of patina now. All these pics are old from when I first got them. And yes, it is a Fish handle. I had two Takeda cleavers and I did sell off one. and yes, they are badass. I did have the Tojiro, that one was hard to sell. The one I had was REALLY awesome, I've heard some other people have bought them and not been quite as impressed, but I think it's probably due to inconsistencey of production, because the one I had was thin, light, and all around awesome.

This is just a small smattering of old pics, I have TONS of pics I've taken over the years. I should start a gallery, or maybe just start posting pics in random threads

I should add this is the progression of knives, I don't still have all these. I have about 8 or 9 high end cleavers left, 3-4 nakiris, a couple gyutos and some petties etc. It's been a painful process, but I've really been trying to pair down my collection. I use all my knives and don't have any drawer queens, but there are still so many that they only show up in the rotation every six months. I hate having these awesome knives that don't get to see as much action as they deserve. There are still more I'm going to sell off, some great famous cleavers If there is anything someone has been eyeing let me know. :biggrin2:

Hey Kaleb, I just noticed you are a Salt Lake City brother from another mother.

Holy cow.

That is a lot to take in at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Glad you are here, as your posts are what got me motivated for cleavers and to purchase the Suien early on.
    Andy along with my addictive personality, has made for a large cleaver collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy777 View Post
    There are still more I'm going to sell off, some great famous cleavers If there is anything someone has been eyeing let me know. :biggrin2:
    If you really don't want your Sugimoto #6 with saya, then I'd be willing to take it off your hands.

Jay

Nice pics and awesome knives Andy.

I did have the Tojiro, that one was hard to sell. The one I had was REALLY awesome, I've heard some other people have bought them and not been quite as impressed, but I think it's probably due to inconsistencey of production, because the one I had was thin, light, and all around awesome.
    I bought this cleaver because of your review. I didn´t like it too much at first as it was heavier than the ones I had Handled by then and not as thin as I thought it would be but right now I absolutely love it. I wouldn´t sell it for the world.

This is just a small smattering of old pics, I have TONS of pics I've taken over the years. I should start a gallery, or maybe just start posting pics in random threads
    I would really love to see pics of your current cleaver collection Andy. Oh yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Andy777 View Post
    There are still more I'm going to sell off, some great famous cleavers If there is anything someone has been eyeing let me know.
    If you really don't want your Sugimoto #6 with saya, then I'd be willing to take it off your hands.

Jay
    I think you already have one Sugimoto #6. I imagine you woudn´t need two, would you? I´d be willing to take yours off you hands then

Thanks for the pics Andy,you are one of the reasons I too became a cleaver nut,from Suien to Takeda,then Moritaka. Have you handled or tried any of Konesuke's Chuka's?

I'm glad to hear that I have contributed so much addiction.

I always swore I'd never sell that Sugimoto, but I've already sold off about a dozen knives I swore I'd never sell. It's so painful every time. I'll keep you guys in mind if I ever do decide to part with it. Ideally I'd like to get down to only two or three slicers - I think I currently have 7 - Takeda, Masahiro M3, Tadatsuna, Suien VG-10, CCK 1103, Mizuno, Sugimoto #6, plus Sugimoto #7, antique Sugimoto #30, and Sugimoto #22 bone chopper. I'll get around to taking new pics of the collection one of these days.

@Malacara - I'm glad to hear you like your Tojiro, I was a huge fan of mine, and it wasn't too heavy ~ 470g or so if I remember correctly. I definitely miss that one.

@Jonnachange - I haven't tried (or even seen unless I forgot) a konesuke chuka, I'd like to though

Here are some more pics just for the fun of it:

I started with 270 Hiromoto AS gyto, but did not like the geometry.

I moved on to 270 Aritsugu A, it was a bit on the heavy side for me also too thick.

Next I got Mizuno Tanrenjo Stainless, it was not advertised by Koki back then, but I asked and he got me one. It was a laser type gyuto with great geometry and steel.

After the Mizuno I got Konosuke White 2 240mm, and Moritaka AS 240mm gyuto.
    Finally a custom spec Shigefusa is my current favorite knife.

I also like cleavers, I started with Suien VC, moved on to Misono, and now I have Tadatsuna Inox.
    I have a custom spec Yoshikane in V2 on order.

Suji :so far I have owned only Tojiro DP, but I have a custom spec 300mm Shigefusa on order.
    Yanagiba- my first one was Shimatani blue 2, I substituted with Masamato KK. Now I have only one Shigefusa 300mm kasumi.
    Deba : I have had only one Honkasumi 180mm in white 2.

Paring/Petty: 120mm Mac petty, Shun paring. I am looking to upgrade the position by getting a 180 mm petty.
    Bread knife: I have always used the Mac bread knife

I don't have a picture of it, but the first 'nice' knife I ever bought was a Misono swedish 180 gyuto. Weird choice, I know, but I was comfortable using my crappy $20 santoku so I thought it would be the right size. Out of all the knives I handled in the store, the Misono felt the nicest, and I got the swedish steel because I thought carbon was cool :P

But man did it react to onions. Not only stank, but I could taste it slightly in the food too. Also, it felt way too small, maybe because of the short heel height compared with my old santoku. So....

I don't have a picture with the handle on (I deleted it after I sold it because I was paranoid someone would use it for an ebay scam or something)... Konosuke stainless 240. I did a whole bunch of research and convinced myself a 240mm wa-gyuto was going to be the perfect knife, but it felt really awkward - too tall, too long, and too much belly.

I was in Japan at the time, so I picked out the handle in person and got to watch them install it too. It hurt to sell, but I knew it was wrong for me.

In the meantime I bought an Aritsugu-A 155mm petty and Mac bread knife, both of which I still have today. On a whim and because it was super cheap, I picked up a 8" Wusthof from another forum member. It was fun pretending to be Jacques Pepin, rough chopping everything and smashing garlic left and right.

But I noticed I began to use the petty more and more, for almost everything in fact. For all the obvious reasons, I quickly outgrew the Wusthof, so I sold it to some sucker on ebay for a profit and lived with just the petty and bread knife for a while.

Then I got a wild itch to try a single bevel knife, so I ordered this 195mm usuba relatively cheap from Blueway. Of course I sold it pretty soon afterwards, but it was interesting to try... Back to the petty & bread knife.

With some birthday money and a better idea of what I was looking for, I custom ordered a Konosuke HD 210 petty/suji with a rosewood handle from Jon. Still have it, but contemplating selling it, mostly because of...

The circle is complete I had convinced myself I didn't want a western handle, carbon steel, or a typical gyuto profile. But on a whim, because the prices were being raised, I bought this Misono swedish 210 from Korin. And because I read they might have changed the steel, or at least it's less reactive than I remembered.

Hard to say why, but I find myself reaching for this knife over the Konosuke. Maybe just because it's new, but I think there's more to it... the Konosuke feels sleek and exciting, but the Misono feels more natural. For now I'm still evaluating, but eventually one of them will have to go, because I'm the opposite of a compulsive hoarder (yet still compulsive).

+ Reply to Thread