Quantcast
Knife Progression - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knife Progression

@mainaman - you have to make a thread and post pics when you get your 300 Shig suji...I'm dying to see that!

@spaceconvoy - I can't believe you are going to sell your 210 petty! There is no way I would let my Suisin go (said that before). Also, I kind of know what you mean about the feel of your Misono. I'm a wa handle and longer blade guy myself, but I remember the feel of the western handle and profile of the 210 Fujiwara FKH gyuto just seemed really natural to me...but it still couldn't replace my all-around knife 300 Konosuke suji

Haven't decided yet... I still think it's the best single all-purpose knife you can have, but it's starting to feel like a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type deal. And I might need to pay for a new potential custom order

Next I got Mizuno Tanrenjo Stainless, it was not advertised by Koki back then, but I asked and he got me one. It was a laser type gyuto with great geometry and steel.
    That is one sexy looking knife. I've always loved the Mizuno wa-gyutos. I've used a couple of the hontanren blue ones and always wanted one. But alas I just love my Masamoto so much I don't want to muddy the waters with another, I'm trying to cut down, (even as I write this I'm wishing I had one.) How do you like your stainless one? How does that swedish steel perform? Are the stainless ones made in the same hontanren fashion as the carbon?

I also like cleavers, I started with Suien VC, moved on to Misono, and now I have Tadatsuna Inox.
    I have a custom spec Yoshikane in V2 on order.
    I LOVE my Tadatsuna. How do you like yours? How is the handle on it? Mine was borderline terrible but the blade is super badass. It's such a shame all the high end cleavers need new handles. it's a big commitment after laying down $300-400. You'd better post some pics of that Yoshikane. Do you have an ETA?

@Spaceconvoy, that would kill me to sell a knife that I bought in Japan. I will make the pilgrimage some day.

andy i ll pay you an extra 100$ for that old harner cleaver you have

Quote Originally Posted by Andy777 View Post
    That is one sexy looking knife. I've always loved the Mizuno wa-gyutos. I've used a couple of the hontanren blue ones and always wanted one. But alas I just love my Masamoto so much I don't want to muddy the waters with another, I'm trying to cut down, (even as I write this I'm wishing I had one.) How do you like your stainless one? How does that swedish steel perform? Are the stainless ones made in the same hontanren fashion as the carbon?
    the stainless is hontanren too, it is very thin very light 168g for 270mm I believe.
    Mizuno were also open to making a custom spec blade so not OEM knife which I liked too.
    It took thinning easy and has nice edge retention.

I LOVE my Tadatsuna. How do you like yours? How is the handle on it? Mine was borderline terrible but the blade is super badass. It's such a shame all the high end cleavers need new handles. it's a big commitment after laying down $300-400. You'd better post some pics of that Yoshikane. Do you have an ETA?
    the tadatsuna is very nice and the handle actually is good. Steel is great and easy to sharpen and holds good edge. The geometry is great too.
    The youshikane is ready and will ship soon.