Quantcast
Cast Iron Cookware - Page 12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Cookware

I do it even simpler. Fry Bacon. Wipe out with paper towel. Return to hot burner to cool down (electric) . No extra coatings of oil. Just use nd wipe, use nd wipe...

-AJ

Oh yaaa !! Gotta do the bacon thing I do batches of small dice bacon for bits. Dice up a pound and render it down on low, strain it and portion it out and into the freezer Filter the fat and into the fridge Waste Nothing

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Good posts f/ you and DW here. Canola is nasty stuff, but if you're gonna use it use organic, as in the US non-organic canola is GM. Canola oil is a farce - there are no "canola" plants - it's rape seed oil. It originated in Canada where they had a surpluss of it. The word "Canola" is a marketing by-product term of Canada-Oil. It was used primarily as a macherny lubricant before being marketed as a cooking oil. Rape seed is also know to be a toxic weed.
    Sorry to continue OT, but there is simply no evidence for any of the negative health claims being made against canola oil. It is perhaps the healthiest cooking oil to use, but you are free to continue consuming excesses of SFAs and TFAs thinking they are "healthier" than canola. It doesn't make the claims against canola any less false, nor the claimed "benefits" of lards, butters and high-SFA and -TFA oils any more true.

http://www.givengain.com/cgi-bin/gig...&cause_id=1056
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Good posts f/ you and DW here. Canola is nasty stuff, but if you're gonna use it use organic, as in the US non-organic canola is GM. Canola oil is a farce - there are no "canola" plants - it's rape seed oil. It originated in Canada where they had a surpluss of it. The word "Canola" is a marketing by-product term of Canada-Oil. It was used primarily as a macherny lubricant before being marketed as a cooking oil. Rape seed is also know to be a toxic weed. Saying all that, I have found some information that states that what is now considered Canola oil has gone through a series of hybridizations (which is how almost all produce that we currently consume came to be) and is no longer considered toxic in it's most current form. I still won't use it.
    Not to jump on you but I don't see how having a name change for a product is a farce. The name rapeseed just does not make you think happy thoughts, I don't see why that makes the oil any worse.

Rape seed is high in erucic acid. It's not considered suitable for human consumption in most countries. You can find rapeseed oil used for cooking in some parts of india. I believe it has to be heated to its smoke point in order to make it palatable. I have a bottle I bought at an indian market, it's labeled external use only. Canola is rapeseed breed to be low in erucic acid. I generally dont use it because i dont like taste of it. Spectrum, on the other hand, makes good tasting canola oil.

To the poster regarding grape seed oil. Grape seed oil forms a sticky film on your pan because it's high in polyunsaturated fats. I think they tend to polymerise or plasticize easily.

Oils should be a new thread even though oil and cast iron are best friends.

Im seasoning a cast iron waffle iron right now. Im using coconut oil.

Today I watched two customers just about get into a fist fight over cleaning of Cast Iron... It was really amazing how strongly these two very civil individuals (normally) got so worked up because they saw polar oposite ideas as herasy. One was based on cleaning with a spatula and a paper towel, nothing else. The other says after reaserching where the notion of never soaping a CI pan to clean is was based on the common soaps of the time and that modern soaps where safe to use in moderation.

WOW these guys tore into each other like you wouldn't believe, is it a full moon tonight??

My point is that there are those that believe in one way so strongly that they will not be convinced of another way, ever. Personally I find that not getting into those topics with people is just for the best on all sides. I believe strongly in what I believe and others believe in what they believe, who is right and who is wrong is no longer an interest to me when all the doors close and the emotion gets hot. I just will not bite and move on to other topics. 9 times out of 10, they are both right and both wrong to some degree, there is always more than 3 sides to a story, side A, side B, and whats real.

Now back to out OP

How many here have and use various Dutch Ovens

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Rape seed is high in erucic acid. It's not considered suitable for human consumption in most countries. You can find rapeseed oil used for cooking in some parts of india. I believe it has to be heated to its smoke point in order to make it palatable. I have a bottle I bought at an indian market, it's labeled external use only. Canola is rapeseed breed to be low in erucic acid. I generally dont use it because i dont like taste of it. Spectrum, on the other hand, makes good tasting canola oil.

To the poster regarding grape seed oil. Grape seed oil forms a sticky film on your pan because it's high in polyunsaturated fats. I think they tend to polymerise or plasticize easily.

Oils should be a new thread even though oil and cast iron are best friends.

Im seasoning a cast iron waffle iron right now. Im using coconut oil.
    i use coconut oil in almost all my cooking. I used it also exclusively to season the pans with fantastic results!

I want to buy a Dutch oven but not sure if I should go enamel or not. If I do regular CI I'll probably buy a Lodge. However I read that their enamel products are not very good. A Le creuset is so expensive, I am not sure I'm ready to drop 300$ on one.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Today I watched two customers just about get into a fist fight over cleaning of Cast Iron... It was really amazing how strongly these two very civil individuals (normally) got so worked up because they saw polar oposite ideas as herasy. One was based on cleaning with a spatula and a paper towel, nothing else. The other says after reaserching where the notion of never soaping a CI pan to clean is was based on the common soaps of the time and that modern soaps where safe to use in moderation.

WOW these guys tore into each other like you wouldn't believe, is it a full moon tonight??

My point is that there are those that believe in one way so strongly that they will not be convinced of another way, ever. Personally I find that not getting into those topics with people is just for the best on all sides. I believe strongly in what I believe and others believe in what they believe, who is right and who is wrong is no longer an interest to me when all the doors close and the emotion gets hot. I just will not bite and move on to other topics. 9 times out of 10, they are both right and both wrong to some degree, there is always more than 3 sides to a story, side A, side B, and whats real.

Now back to out OP

How many here have and use various Dutch Ovens

I have a Staub Boulliabaisse pot and Staub mussel pot both in blue and love them.

Le Creuset outlets are your friend.

I'm generally creeped out by nonstick (because of how it needs babying), so I looked to enameled CI as a replacement. Once you figure the enameled pans out, they're really nice to cook in. Just don't put food in a cold pan enameled CI pan--unless you're trying to render the fat in a duck breast or something like that.

+ Reply to Thread