Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Cookware

My enamaled pot is an off brand and it makes me nervous once in a while if I think about it to much. I'm with you on the cost of Le Creuset but they do have, at least till reciently, a great rep. Been hearning about them moving production to China and that makes me nervous.

I prefer regular CI and all but one are Lodge. One is a thin china made piece that was a gift, lucky for me it does great rolls and baking things so I don't have to worry about what may leach out of the iron. My #8 bean pot was my fisrt CI dutch oven and it has done numberous batches of baked beans, and more to come. The others are "Camp" DO's , also Lodge, that you can use outdoors with coals

A very addicting past time

much more awesomer
    Oh, you're making me drool. That looks great! I have to take my DO to the fire pit and try some camp grub!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Great post!

I had to necro this thread because I picked up my first Wagner skillet! I was in AZ for a vacation and a friend took me to this store called the AZ Man Cave. It is like a consignment shop, that has a little bit of everything. I was telling my friends about how I was a member of this forum and into cooking and cookware, knives, etc. Well sure enough I found a section of cast iron pans and picked up a Wagner 10 for 38 bucks.

It's far from perfect, but I was happy to have found it and bought it. Now I'm debating on how to go about re-seasoning it. It's actually pretty clean and the cooking surface is nice and smooth. There is some pitting on the inside and a little bit of rust.

For those who have brought older pans back to life, what's your method of restarting a pan?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinob1 View Post
    I had to necro this thread because I picked up my first Wagner skillet! I was in AZ for a vacation and a friend took me to this store called the AZ Man Cave. It is like a consignment shop, that has a little bit of everything. I was telling my friends about how I was a member of this forum and into cooking and cookware, knives, etc. Well sure enough I found a section of cast iron pans and picked up a Wagner 10 for 38 bucks.

It's far from perfect, but I was happy to have found it and bought it. Now I'm debating on how to go about re-seasoning it. It's actually pretty clean and the cooking surface is nice and smooth. There is some pitting on the inside and a little bit of rust.

For those who have brought older pans back to life, what's your method of restarting a pan?
    read this and this.

Nice shots Dwarvenchef, Those rolls look perfect. I think Kitchenaid has the Best bang for the buck. I have some staub, Le cruset, lodge DO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Nice shots Dwarvenchef, Those rolls look perfect. I think Kitchenaid has the Best bang for the buck. I have some staub, Le cruset, lodge DO's.
    i think the best bang for buck right now is the clearance Sur La Table enameled. its nice.

much more awesomer
    There is at least one KA enameled piece on deep discount in every weekly flyer for a Canadian big-box discount hard-goods chain; this week it's a 7-quart round covered casserole for $69.99...

Cutlery and More had a Creuset bargain a couple of weeks ago.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    read this and this.
    Those were good articles. I'm not 100% on using the oven cleaner, but I may end up giving it a go. I'll post pictures and see what you all think about the pan and if it needs that much work. My only concern with the oven cleaner is it impregnating the iron and leeching out into the food.

I wish I had a self cleaning oven as I'd really like to try that method. No use of chemicals. I do have a Weber grill, I wonder if loading it up with coals and baking the CI pan would yield the same results? Or am I just being a baby about using oven cleaner?

[QUOTE=Shinob1;95117]
    In case it would be helpful, what I cook mostly is saute vegetables and lean meats, (I'm on a diet). So unfortunately no biscuits or gravy, fried taters, or other magical southern food will grace the skillet, well at least not often.

~ You may need to consider good fire/ heat management as cast iron gets really hot and may overcook the vegetables.. so either keep it moving or once it is cooked.. get it out fast. Adjust the heat source accordingly as needed.

I prefer my veggies.. translucent green. A testament of my fire management and doing it right...

you will eventually get a feel for your apparatus....

have fun..
    D